1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can't The AP get this agate stuff correct/consistent?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Central-KY-Kid, Jun 6, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Sorry, I think I made the first error on that.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

According to Merriam-Webster, you're wrong. It can be either a word or an abbreviation.

3. nascardeacon

nascardeacon New Member

I cannot help but chime in on this one. Why, as is the case here in NC, does AP insist on putting city names with the prep schools in the scoreboard, it makes it infinityly longer. Then of course there are those exteremly annoyed headers in the transactions and/or daily or series playoff glances that are tagged onto the end of a line, thus forcing us to have to go through and put hard returns in them to get them in the right place.
    Oh, and boxscores for MLB. Why are some names abbreviated and then some just have to have some vowels left in them and yet, for example, there may be only one Delgado on either team, they must put Jo. or whatever for a first name be it a batter or a pitcher - it screws all the tabs up.
    And, I don't know about some of you, but we don't have room on our agate page to put golfers, four rounds, total score AND money and/or country.
    It's some much overkill it's ridiculous. If they want money they can get the tour agate on Monday/Tuesday with the money standings.

Whew! Thanks, I needed that.

4. North61

North61 Member

I get pissed that all glances are in EDT, mainly because the SE here wants them switched to CDT for our paper. I think it's a good thing for the readers, but I absolutely hate dealing with that shit every night on deadline. Why not regionalize those glances for those of us who don't live in New York? God, that would make way too much sense.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I would be satisfied if the big-ticket things, like season-long NFL skeds, were moved for each time zone.

6. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

AP isn't running Eastern League results anymore. Agate is the least of our worries. And on the capitalizing of names that aren't acronyms...who careS?

I quote from Coming to America (heavy jewish accent:)" If ak man wants to call himself Muhammad ALi, he can call himslef Muck-aamad Ali."

Who arr we to say how someone spells there name? What happens if I change my name and I have it on the borth certificate in all caps? Will the world end?

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

AP agate went to hell the day Ron Blum moved to words.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Because, um, that's what you should be doing. If you don't know that, we got bigger problems.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Eastern League Glance is moving 11 p.m.-midnight every night...

Thus ends my defense of The Associated Press for this millennium.

Draft saved Draft deleted