1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can't The AP get this agate stuff correct/consistent?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Central-KY-Kid, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

http://www.apstylebook.com/ask_editor.php

Hi Norm. Can't seem to find what the style for Fox television should be. Is it Fox or FOX? Please advise. – from Scranton, Pa. on Sat, Jan 20, 2007

AP style is Fox.

FOX network or Fox network? – from Deerfield Beach, FL on Fri, Oct 20, 2006

It's Fox (not an acronym).

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

One of the persistent things I had to deal with in my five-year stint in public relations was clients who wanted, in copy designed to be run in newspaper special sections, to cap their client names.

JELD-WEN windows, etc.

You see that in press releases all the time.

3. donaugust

donaugust Member

Press releases can do whatever they want. The media is not their mouthpiece, however.

Another good hack-ronym was pointed out to me -- USA Today keeps the entire name capitalized, although I'm sure the TODAY doesn't stand for anything. :)

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did you splain it to them?

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We did a lot of 'splaining. A lot.

Finally, we worked up an FAQ sheet that helped a lot.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

When I was an SID, our basketball teams played in an arena named for a major telecommunications company which likes to have its name spelled in all caps. I looked through the previous years' media guides, and it was all caps in every instance I found. I stopped that and started writing it like it should have been, and nobody said a word.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Fox was going to call itself FBC, for Fox Broadcasting Company (then and now the legal name), when someone mentioned to Rupert Murdoch that a Fox logo mirroring that of the film company would look sharp. Don't think it was ready by the first night, when Joan Rivers premiered.
    Speaking of all caps, what about PGA TOUR? Tim Finchem, what does the O-U-R stand for?

8. sportymcgee

sportymcgee Member

I love how in soccer AP uses just cities for some teams and nicknames of full names for others (D.C. United, FC Dallas).

9. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Here's my $0.02 whine: Why, in AP's daily baseball top ten for hitting, is the header "Pct." when everyone else in the world since the sport was invented consider it a batting AVERAGE? But, in their weekend baseball stats package, it's "Avg." Yes, a minor search and replace, but one that shouldn't need to be done.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I like how the AP wasted about 30 minutes (at least) sending the Boston/Oakland box last night.

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Baseball boxes are sent via a computer program, not hand-typed in.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

For the record, NBC, CBS and ABC are not acronyms. They're initials. MADD is an acronym because the initials form a pronounceable word.

Draft saved Draft deleted