1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can't I say a girl is big?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

See, that's political correctness crap run amok. I've reported that girls were "large" if that was the fact. You don't think coaches teach them to use size to their advantage? It's part of the sport. I report it.

If they want to take it personally and go bulumic or whatever, tough shit. That's their choice. If they don't want to list what they weigh (many heights and weights are exaggerated anyway), then I'll make my best guess.

I can see where the OP and others are trying to be politcally correct. I never cared for that. If a football team has a huge O-line that busts the other team's butt, I'll report that. Ditto for whatever other sport.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

1. just don't call her "athletic" because, well you know ... (crossthread)
    2. heck yeah coaches teach them to use their size. around here, teams have their guards, wings, posts, etc. and just about every good team has a player to fill the "wide butt" position as in "such and such team has a big ole 'wide butt' down there that's killing us."
    3. 99 out of 100 college media guides don't list weights for female sports like they do for the men.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Seems like the girl is a good athlete who turned in a dominant performance. To suggest that it was primarily due to her weight is misleading.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Duh, you trick a coach or player into saying what you want, but can't...

Or say she's 5-foot-9 and blessed with a wide frame

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this after watching a local girls game this past weekend, though the girls weren't fat. Just thick and strong as hell. I mean the entire team and they pushed Local High all over the floor.

But I wasn't writing it. I had the boys game that followed. Writer who covered it really didn't deal with the issue and it definitely left a gap in the story. Watching the game, it was striking how much these girls pushed Local High around.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Player X(XL) used her size to dominate in the key."

7. smithsonryan

smithsonryan New Member

Chuckle. My first job was at the Columbia Daily Herald in 1994 working for the great sports editor Marion Wilhoite at a 12,000 daily. He had, in his copy, "she used her bulk to dominate the post."

Of course, the parents raged. I said, "Marion, at least you didn't use 'girth'."

8. RecoveringDesker

RecoveringDesker Active Member

I agree with JayFarrar. You get someone else to say it. Not that hard to do.

9. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Her size is relevant if she presents unique matchup problems. Someone built like a fire hydrant is not someone you generally get to practice your post-up moves against. That should be mentioned, though as Jay said, get someone else to make the comment if possible.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

She uses her strength on the low post...

Inability of the defense to move her off of the low block...

That's all you need to do.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

One of my dear friends has battled an eating disorder for nearly her whole adult life. I can understand where this is coming from.

For high school, I don't think the girls' weights should be listed. College, yes.

Of course, it could be another case of women's basketball wanting equal coverage but not equal scrutiny, which I see as a major plague in major college women's basketball or even the WNBA.

12. When someone says the vague "and weighs more than 200 pounds," all I can think of is a WWE (nee WWF) wrestler introduction.

Draft saved Draft deleted