1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can't I say a girl is big?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Local High lost to Island High by 3 because Island High has a girl who is built like a fire hydrant. She's like 5-9 and probably weighs around 200-225 pounds. She domianted the post with her size and I want to give my readers an idea of her size.
    If this was a boy, I'd say he was wide-bodied or something cute; I feel like if I say this about a girl, people are going to shit on me. The only thing I have going for me is Island High isn't part of our coverage area.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You can't because your readers will shit on you.

Maybe try "powerful"

3. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

She's not powerful. She's fat.
    Fuck it. I said a local player - who has matched up well with taller players - had the height, but couldn't overcome this girls girth.
    If she doesn't like it, she should lose weight.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You could say Rubenesque, but then the people on the other thread will be all over your hifalutin' ass.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So what you're saying is that when a girl walked into the post with an itty-bitty waist, she got put in her place?

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If you really think it's relevant, and you're not just doing it to make fun of her, just include her height and weight as they appear on the roster and let people draw their own conclusions.

7. LongTimeListener

If she is 5-9, I would bet a paycheck her weight isn't listed as anything more than 160.

EDIT: That's if they even list weights. When I was in that world most recently, the girls teams wouldn't list weights, for this very reason.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

So what's he going to say, 'She's listed at 160, but anyone with fucking eyeballs can see she's a sandwich shy of 210'?

Male or female, when you make fun of weight, you just sound like an ass.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Say she's listed at 5-9 and weighs more than 200 pounds.

People will get the picture.

21's right on the fat jokes, too. We're journalists, not stand-up hacks. I tossed in a pointed fat joke one time regarding an asshole baseball coach years ago, and all it did was make me look small-time.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've never seen a girls' team list weights. Hell, I don't think NCAA women's basketball teams generally list weight.

11. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Burly is the word you want. Burly. OK, maybe "healthy" works better.

12. LongTimeListener

For high school, I agree. Just pointing out that going by the printed roster was not going to tell the story.

Beyond that I think there's plenty of latitude with male athletes but not so much for the women. In four years I don't know if anyone covering Oklahoma basketball pointed out that the Paris twins needed to lose a combined 50 pounds for the Sooners to have any realistic chance of winning the championship. Yet an Oliver Miller or David Wells joke always kills.

Draft saved Draft deleted