1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Can't I Call In Sick?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I'm dying here. Cough. Watery eyes. Sneezing. Stuffy nose. Just brutal. So bad today I had to leave my desk because I simply couldn't concentrate with all the fluids running, seeping, draining, etc.

Now, here it is 10:50 p.m. and I have to work tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. I'm about to go to bed. But I can't stop thinking how badly I should stay home tomorrow. I am one of five people in a 10-person newsroom who is sick. But I'm the worst — I think.

I left early today (only 15 minutes) but I had to get out of there.

I shouldn't be going in spreading this shitstorm around. But I'm probably going to.

Why can't I come to grips with calling in sick? I already know one of my assignments. And, I'm off Thursday and Friday. I fear management would think I'm trying to get three days off in a row and/or trying to skip an assignment. Neither is the case.

Why can't I just pick up the phone at 8 a.m. and call my city editor and say "I'm sick as fuck. I won't be in." ?

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just make the call, Pete. Management has already screwed around with you in the last few months, so why risk your health and sanity and the health of others by going in when you are sick.

If assignments don't get done, then they don't get done. Management shouldn't be cutting jobs if one sick person means the paper won't get out.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

That sucks Pete. Fuck your boss. Call in sick. They can't fire you for being sick. And if they do, sue their ass.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sneeze on your boss. And your editor. And the publisher. Don't forget the HR person.
    You'll be home and back in bed by the end of The Price Is Right.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Just call in.

Suck up the guilt. You don't owe them anything.

That's why you have sick days -- for when you're sick.

6. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Call in. If you go in sick, you are to blame. You are obviously sick, really sick. There is a difference between toughing it out, and killing yourself.

If you are miserable and can't move, don't go in. It's just a job and not worth it. If the product suffers just remember -- you get paid either way.

If you go in, it's your own fault. Let management cover for you. That's what their job is. People get sick, tell management to deal with it. If they need a doctor's note, then get one.

7. Pete Incaviglia

I think the ME is the one who got me sick! And the City Ed. is coming down with something. And he sits beside me.

All I need is a day in bed and four gallons of OJ.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Call in. There should be no guilt. Because as jobs are cut, furloughs forced to be made, newspapers forced to close because of ... nevermind, I won't go there ...

Anyway, there's no guilt on their end.

You're sick. Make the call. Get better.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If you're that sick, came in and I had to work around you, I'd be pissed off.

Call in and stay home. Drink OJ and get lots of sleep. Don't worry about it.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

suck it up and get to work, nancy! ;D

11. Pete Incaviglia

This is usually my attitude. And it's how I ended up sick. I'm sure of it.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Pete,

I feel the same way as you. Sick as a dog and the antibiotics aren't working.

Hopefully there isn't two set of rules regarding sick time, that it's okay for some people to call in, but if you try it, you get the third-degree.

Draft saved Draft deleted