1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can't conservatives do funny?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Strangely, in that Limbaugh sketch, Excellence in Oxycontin pulled out a cigar and did NOT make a Clinton joke.

Thinking about it, perhaps the title of this thread should be, "why can't political true believers do funny?" Look at what happened to Janeane Garafolo after she started diving into politics -- brutal. Even Lenny Bruce at the end spent most of his shows reading from his court transcripts, which didn't exactly fill the room with laughter.

I mean, maybe you can get the true believers as your audience (and as Brad Stine has shown, you can make a nice living off of them), but that doesn't make you funny. Heck, one of the most important things about humor is not being able to see the joke coming.

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Excellent point. Dennis Miller is a great example of that. He went from irreverent to entirely reverent (toward Bush) in an instant, and it ruined his act. You can't be a stand-up comic if you consider the president to be off-limits (and Miller essentially said he was off-limits).

But based on the clip of "1/2 Hour News Hour," it seems obvious that they're aiming squarely for the base of 55-year-old Republicans who think the monologues are the best parts of the Leno and Letterman shows -- lame, predictable jokes totally devoid of any cleverness whatsoever. It might pull ratings in a certain demographic, but it sure as hell won't work with people under 35, regardless of their political affiliation.

And man, did those two hosts suck. They should get Kilborn. I don't know what his politics are, but I could see him doing that job.

3. I think Kilborn would do the show dressed as Eva Braun at this point.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This thread will have a long, beautiful life.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

We wish this thread well. </foxnewsexecs>

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Some of the comments are ripe, too. One favorite is the guy trying to explain the intent of the joke, as if all of the others commenters just didn't pick up on it:

"I am a left leaning moderate, but I found this to be funny. I think the video is trying to poke fun of the irrational Obama mania and have a little fun with his highly publicized appearance on Oprah."

And then there's the commenter who is obviously either Bill O'Reilly himself or a Fox News flack bragging on O'Reilly's ratings in the 25-54 demo and lauding loofah man's greatest accomplishments.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Garafolo fact of the day (from Wikipedia):

She was offered the role of Monica on "Friends" and turned it down.

Was also offered the role opposite Tom Cruise in "Jerry Maguire" . . . if she lost weight (I don't remember her being plump).

I'm not sure if Janeane "can't" do funny anymore or if she simply has a lot of other things on her plate. I have no idea if she even does standup anymore. But it may be true that once you become so serious about an issue, you lose the detachment necessary to be funny.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Janeane played a fat girl in Cats and Dogs. She's about as fat as freaking Angelina Jolie. Stupid Hollywood obsession with underweight women [/rant]

9. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Ding. Ding. Ding. Winner.

BTW - Janeane had her crib sheet on stage during a standup special I saw several years ago. Comedians shouldn't do serious politics. Miller and Janeane prime examples.

Even as a card-carrying social liberal she grates on my nerves. Nobody likes the slim, quirky-cute girl playing the "i'm fat and fashion magazines hurt girls' self-image" card.

10. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Wasn't Miller supposed to host this show?

Draft saved Draft deleted