1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why can't conservatives do funny?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ifilus, Feb 16, 2007.

1. ifilus

ifilus Active Member

Starting Sunday on Fox News, the right wing attempts to take on 'The Colbert Report' and 'The Daily Show'.

"We're sort of the antidote to all the other shows that really don't go after the targets we go after," says the conservative executive producer Joel Surnow, best known as executive producer of Fox's "24." "We're sort of, like, unabashedly coming from a certain point of view.

"This is a show for people who watch other comedy shows and say, 'Yeah, OK, but why aren't you doing jokes about Nancy Pelosi? Why aren't you doing jokes about Ted Kennedy? Why aren't you doing jokes about all the global warming meetings that are being canceled by snowstorms?' "

Of course, you do see jokes about John Kerry on "The Daily Show," and NBC's "Saturday Night Live" has tweaked Pelosi.

Says Surnow: "We're not looking to be balanced. Those shows are, and we're not. That's fine for them to want to go after everybody. For our show, it's a specific thing that we are delivering."

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Here's the problem. You can't be conservative/liberal first, funny second. Saturday Night Live, John Stewart, Colbert, Letterman, etc. -- they take shots at whoever is in power and whoever deserves it. You can't say "Oh, well I'm not going to make fun of Bush, I'm going to make fun of Obama instead." When you become political first, funny second, the end result is Mallard Filmore.

And I'm convinced Yawn is a joke. No one can be that stupid.

3. You can't be intentionally funny when your job is to scare the bejeezus out of everyone ... otherwise Pat Robertson would be the funniest guy on the planet.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

The sound of one man laughing? That would be Hondo. He's slapping his knees at this. "Aha! Global warning jokes! Finally, a show that speaks to me!"

I love how Surnow says his show is an antidote to all those left-leaning comedy shows, then says, well, yeah, those shows DO tweak everyone, but ours is going to tweak the left.

And is anyone else amused that a Fox News show is advertising the fact that it is NOT balanced? Oh, the irony.

Stick to what you know best, Joel: Producing the most unwittingly liberal show on Fox.

5. That Surnow is a dolt is obvious from The New Yorker piece about 24.
    Conservatives can be funny. PJ O'Rourke cracks me up. THESE conservatives, however, are not remotely funny. As someone else said, they're conservatives first and funny second, just as poor Air America is liberal first and radio second, which is why it's struggling and independent liberal radio hosts, like Ed Schultz and Stephanie Miller, are not.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It would be like watching Worker and Parasite instead of Itchy and Scratchy...
    I can hear Krusty now... "What the Hell was That?"

[​IMG]

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

What about Dennis Miller? Yes, I see what you mean.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A sense of humor is a sign of intelligence.

O'Rourke is the exception that proves the rule.

9. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Anyone who can produce the National Lampoon Sunday Newspaper parody can think however he likes. HIM I'd listen to.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

There are clips floating around the Internets, but I won't do you the disservice of linking to them.

However, I will say one includes a sketch in which the real Rush Limbaugh and the real Ann Coulter are playing President and Vice President. And Limbaugh has the temerity to talk about his defeated opponent, Howard Dean (Howard Dean?????), as now having time to get his needed medication. Should a notorious pill-popper be delivering that line?

Also, the hosts look like every smarmy Young Republican you've ever hated, even if you were a Young Republican yourself. They remind me of the "look at me being serious" guy.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

fixed

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

stop it, h-a, you're killin' me.

Draft saved Draft deleted