1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why bother profiling when you can just cast a large French net?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Oct 20, 2006.

1. Please tell me that first paragraph is parody.
    "This president doesn't lecture another country like a parent talks to a child. " With-us-or-against-us anyone? And, anyway, he lectures THIS country like a parent talking to a child.
    Herman Melville once wrote, "The Declaration Of Independence makes a difference."

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) After 9/11, "With us or against us" was appropriate rhetoric. It's a far cry from him telling the French how to manage their affairs.
    2) re: Melville... The French are hardly progressive thinkers who are somehow being muzzled by American authority. They are corrupt to the core.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hate to disagree but it was not appropriate. It was basically, if you disagree with what we're doing you're for the terrorists. Codswallop.

And your Ambassador at the time routinely scolded Canada for not locking into the Fredo Doctrine.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh now, JR. You LOVE to disagree!

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If it isn't anti-American, it's no big deal in JR's world.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nothing anti-American about me. Just anti-Bush and his band of chickenhawk thugs.
    But wait, that would make what, 65% of your country anti-American--not to mention most of the Western World.

You have to learn to distinguish between my disdain for the present admin and my admiration of almost everything American

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Count me in that 65% that is no fan of Bush. Not at all. But you continue to take every chance to bash the country, and given a chance to scold the snottish French you just brush it off.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Repeat after me: I don't bash your country, I bash Bush. Just like I bash our present Prime Minister, Stephen Harper. Doesn't make me anti-Canadian.

Oh, and for the record, I thought Bush was a frat boy moutbreather when he was Governor of Texas. The guy couldn't run a popcorn stand.

Oh, and I hold your country (and mine) up to a higher standard than the French.

C'est tout. Rien a voir ici.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Please don't lump your country in with ours. Apples and oranges.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm not. Ours is better. You can look it up.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

That made me laugh. And if you think Canada's better, be content and stop wasting our time with all your anti-Americn whining.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tell me, Pallister, have you ever been to Canada? Can you find it on a map?

And define what you mean by "anti-American". I'm curious.

Draft saved Draft deleted