1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why athletes avoid the media

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 4, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J., Oct. 3 — The oddest injury of the season so far was sustained by linebacker Chase Blackburn, who was bumped by a reporter in the crowded postgame locker room Sunday as he cleaned his ear with a cotton swab.

The swab nearly ruptured Blackburn’s ear drum, and it was painful enough to drop Blackburn to the floor. He said he lost hearing in the ear, which bled, but doctors expect it to slowly return.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/04/sports/football/04giants.html?_r=2&ref=sports&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

2. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow!!!

I sure as hell wouldn't want to be that reporter. I'm sure it was an accident, but even still. Shit like that is hard to forget, especially if the guy suffers long-term hearing damage. Word travels fast in NFL locker rooms among players.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is why I don't clean my ears. Too damn dangerous.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Not a very smart move to try and clean your ears in a crowded locker room. Was he going to follow that up by having a rectal exam? Or he couldn't wait until he was in the mosh pit of the local club that night?

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but I wouldn't clean my ears while walking in my apartment, never mind a crowded locker room.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I ruptured my ear drum nine years ago, and though it was painful then (particularly when I had to put the ear drops in), it healed just fine and I suffered no loss of hearing.

7. Captain_Kirk

Exactly. That's a pretty stupid move by Blackburn.

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Might be a little extreme to call it stupid. Dude just got out of the shower, was probably sitting at his locker cleaning his ears when some reporter not paying attention to where he was going/moving in the herd bumped into him. I doubt he was running around the locker room with Q-tips sticking out of his ears.

9. Captain_Kirk

Ok, I'll change it from stupid and go back to not smart. Either way, there are lots of better places to clean one's ears than a postgame locker room. Maybe, he just wanted to make sure he could hear the questions clearly....

10. Ewwww.

I am fanatical about cleaning my ears.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I blame the media!!

12. Captain_Kirk

How about waiting until you get home? Or go somewhere a little more private.

Yes, it's their dressing room, I hear you there. But. with people milling all over, you're putting yourself in a position where this can happen when you don't have to do so.

Draft saved Draft deleted