1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why aren't we griping about gas prices?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 13, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps voters in New Jersey have a million other criteria they vote on, before the gas station attendant thing weighs into their decision in the voting booth. The fact that it isn't significant enough when compared to other things to drive a voter revolution doesn't mean it's a reasonable, or smart, law.

Essentially what you just suggested about lower taxes offsetting the cost of mandated attendants is that it somehow makes sense for the state to derive less in tax revenue to fund its budget, because of a need to protect 20,000 useless jobs that wouldn't exist without special favors from legislators.

Even if that was the case, that kind of analysis cherry picks the things you want to offset. When you look at overall taxes, and not just gas taxes, people in New Jersey are the most overtaxed in the country. Maybe if the gas tax was higher, the sales tax or the state income tax would be lower, and instead of offsetting the increased cost mandated gas station attendants cause, lower gas taxes actually offset other higher taxes people in New Jersey suffer.

New Jersey has a budget mess on its hands right now. The governor just slashed education funding across the board because of the state's bankrupt treasury, and the result has been that local school districts are cutting programs, extracurricular activities and jobs. People don't tend to connect dots this way, but perhaps if gas taxes were higher and not supplementing gas station attendant jobs as you suggested, the increased revenue to the state could fund something of greater value to people.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Filled up my big old Buick last night for $3.05 per gallon at the station near my house. My wife would have me drive an additional eight extra miles or so to get to the cheapest fuel (maybe a eight cents a gallon difference) but it doesn't make sense from a time/efficiency standpoint.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

All of which presumes people in New Jersey are too stupid to govern themselves.

4. cranberry

I wouldn't call being a gas station attendant a "useless" job. There are still some places in my area that offer a choice, and it's nice to have the option. There are an awful lot of people who either need or appreciate the assistance, from old folks to disabled folks to people who just got dressed up for a function and don't want their hands to smell like petrol. Attendants will also help you check the air in your tires or the oil in your engine, and top off your coolant or windshield washer.

5. The Big Ragu

If that's what you think it presumes, you're the one who said it, not me.

If you can actually point to any social or safety benefit the law serves, I'm listening.

"You think voters in New Jersey are stupid," completely ignored all substance.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There are a lot of "lazy benefits" that I certainly take advantage of in this world. Having someone pump your gas would never crack that list, though. Even if I had the choice. I understand it's nice for the elderly or whatever, but if you're not capable of pumping gas, you don't deserve a driver's license.

7. The Big Ragu

Fair enough. Useless was my characterization. The jobs are useless in the sense that without government patronage, they wouldn't exist. In every state that doesn't mandate attendants, self-service pumps are the norm. Clearly without capricious government regulation, given the choice between lower prices at the pump or mandated attendants, people's behavior makes it clear that they prefer the lower prices.

The reason why this is an easy poster child for the negative effects of regulating the economy with legislative favors is that no one can make a reasonable case for a greater social or safety benefit of mandating attendants.

8. cranberry

It's a service for which some people will gladly pay an additional fee. I often take advantage of valet parking, too.

It is annoying not to have the choice in NJ because you can spend too much time waiting for a busy attendant sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. The Big Ragu

There is actually a Federal law that mandates same full-service prices as self-service for elderly or handicapped people in stations with both, and in state's other than NJ virtually all highway gas stations provide both options. So even that doesn't provide a believable rationale for the need for NJ's law.

10. JackReacher

Exactly. For as long as it could take, I'd rather just get out and do it myself. I can't imagine sitting in my car for 10 or 15 minutes waiting for someone to pump my gas. Seems ridiculous.

I remember when I was younger, there was an Exxon station in my town that offered full service. Not sure when that stopped. Even now, though, if an elderly person pulls up, a guy is there who will pump her gas. Not because he has to. Because he wants to. That said, I stand by my opinion that if you can't pump your own gas, you shoudn't be driving.

11. The Big Ragu

Not to mention the extra 6 cents per gallon (Jon Corzine's estimate, the last time this came up when he was governor) it supposedly costs people, in addition to their time waiting for someone to pump their gas for them.

12. JackReacher

Some of the quotes from people who don't want to pump their own gas are hilarious.

"I don't like the smell."
    "If I'm in a tux, I don't want to risk getting it dirty or smelly."
    "I'd rather not get out of my car."
    "I wouldn't know how to do it."

Good grief.

Draft saved Draft deleted