1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why aren't we griping about gas prices?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 13, 2010.

1. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

In the last few years, Americans have become fond of Middle Easterners and take pleasure in helping them earn more money.

2. Well, I do drive a hybrid. And I live within a mile of a shopping center and my office, so because I walk or bike just about everywhere I've put maybe 500 miles on my car this year. For the once-a-month trip to the gas station, it's not a big deal to me because I spend less than $30 a month on gas. Those of you driving Escalades and other behemoths have only yourselves to blame.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I think people were really punched in the mouth by high gas prices last time. So much so that for the first time, people finally started thinking about the kind of car they drive, how far they drive to work, whether they really need to make that extra trip, etc.

Look at the sale of small cars...they soared. People -- I think/hope -- are smarter about gas consumption. As such, they're dealing with higher gas prices now. Not necessarily liking it, but dealing with it.

If after all that has happened you're still driving that monster 12 MPG car, then, yeah, I don't have much sympathy for you. And I imagine most people won't either.

4. KG

KG Active Member

I get 17 MPG, and it depresses me every time I go to the pump.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I get 18-19 in the city, and it's a sedan. It's not like I drive an SUV.

Good news is I'll only live 2.5 miles from the office in my new place, instead of about 8 miles here.

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Did you move partially out of a desire to travel less and spend less on gas?

7. KG

KG Active Member

My 17 is city. I think I get 21-23 highway, but that only does me good on road trips. Everything where I live is city driving.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Answer to thread question: Doesn't fit the popular narrative, without having them evil Republicans to blame.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The weakening dollar's to blame for a spike in crude, while reports that the economy is heating up has caused gas prices to be artificially inflated. But gas is expected to flatten out for the rest of the summer, and average prices will remain below $3 nationwide, as supplies increase, the switch to summer blend is complete, and realistic expectations for the economy settle in.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No, new city, new job.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

::) I'll be sure to get to complaining about Obama when gas goes up the extra $1.40 it would have to get to what it did then.

Another factor for me personally is that I bought a new, much more fuel efficient car. So even though the prices have gone up a bit, I go to the pump less and put less gas in the car each time so I'm saving that way.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I was paying $4.40-$4.50 a gallon two years ago. When I was working very few hours looking for steady work. I was always driving all over. It cost a bundle.

Last year, I was driving 70 miles for work per day, and up to 130 miles a day if I had to get to a track meet. Now I drive about 30 miles per day. That's why I'm not complaining. Can't vouch for anyone else.

Draft saved Draft deleted