1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why aren't we griping about gas prices?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

E85 is sham as marketed with regard to environmental soundness.
    But if I had a flex-fuel vehicle and the E85 was 76 cents cheaper per gallon, I'd be all over it.

In a related note, Toyota will begin production of a electric cars in California:
    http://www.teslamotors.com/

2. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

It's been $2.69 here for like 2 months even though oil has dropped like $25 a barrel in the past couple months. But today it'd down 11 cents from yesterday (when I filled up btw) and one station eve had $2.49.

Stations are slllooowwww to drop prices regardless, but let an Arabian sheik fart and it'll jump 25 cents per gallon in an afternoon.

3. Simon

Simon Active Member

Gas prices dropped 25 cents here today.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Blame it on Snooki.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maybe they're just trucking it straight from the marshes to the refineries.
    In all seriousness, unless the government stops all oil production in the Gulf, or Wall Street decides it'd be fun to push the country to the brink of a depression again, it's not going to make a big difference in supply. All of the other wells are still going. In the grand scheme of things it's only one well.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

E85 is cheaper, but the tradeoff is your mileage is going to be much worse. A gallon of ethanol contains far less energy than a gallon of gasoline. So you go through a tank of E85 faster and probably wind up spending more in the long run.

In the last 10 years I've noticed a BIG change in my mileage just from adding 10% ethanol to regular gas and removing the MTBE.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm pleasantly surprised gas is as low as it is - you'd think all gas companies would be jacking their prices figuring their party is over as far as deregulation goes.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

2.59 last night.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's an election year.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Because of the drop in MPG, E85 needs to be about 30 percent less expensive than gasoline to be cost-effective.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Can someone explain how there can be an Exxon selling regular for $3.39 and less than a 1/4 mile away another Exxon selling at $2.75?

Draft saved Draft deleted