1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why aren't we griping about gas prices?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We're around 70 cents per gallon higher than this time last year. But the running "How much did you pay for gas today?" thread hasn't been touched since November.

Are we so desensitized to gas at $2.73 a gallon (higher in your neck of the wood probably) that we don't gripe any longer? Are we ready for $3+ gas this summer?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, since I was convinced you were wrong because it feels like I've been paying $2.75-$2.90 for a year or more, I guess the answer is yes. To both counts.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

There's a gas station in my area that really needs to be investigated for gouging. They are charging $4.19/gal for self-serve premium. That's at least 50 cents higher than the other heinously high priced station about 2 miles away from it. A few miles further, in a neighboring state, I've seen it for $3.09.

I gasped when I saw that the first number was a 4.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A few months ago, I was driving from DC into Virginia and there was one gas station near the Kennedy Center charging like 3.90 for regular. Not even a mile away in Virginia, gas was at least a full dollar less.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think only Honolulu has higher gas prices than Chicago.

The prices here are insane, thanks in part to a high tax. I can't remember the last time I paid less than $3.00 per gallon.

It's a little cheaper in the burbs, and I try to fill up when I'm out there.

The one good thing I have in my favor is that I charge a fuel surcharge to all of my clients, so that pretty much covers my costs. But I haven't raised it in forever. (I actually only raised it once, but dropped it back down to the original cost after prices came down.)

If prices don't come back down soon, or if as expected they go up for the summer, I may have to raise it.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no reason for gas prices to have jumped up like they have in the last month. They're up damn near .50 per gallon.

It's really surprising that more people aren't complaining about it on here like they did 2-3 years ago. I really have no idea what the reason is people are choosing to ignore this jump. What could it be?

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I won't miss the gas prices, that's for sure. It also helps that my family's gas bill has been halved, if not more.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I'm starting to notice it, but it hasn't been nearly the huge jump of a few years ago.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Difference is there is no good reason for it to be happening now.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My guesses:

a) Global warming was driven down the hot topic chart by the economic crisis, the presidential election, healthcare, the economic crisis, Tiger Woods' maritial infedelity, and the economic crisis.
    b) It's no longer cool to drive a Prius
    c) Obama'g got it covered long-term by opening drilling in NY Harbor

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I haven't noticed a huge change here. We've been in the $2.70-$2.90 range for a while.

12. KG

KG Active Member

I'm just sick of complaining about it. The only thing complaining does is make me stress about figuring out my budget even more, so it's not worth the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted