1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why aren't McCain's gaffes getting much coverage?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Interested in this from a media analysis standpoint. Please remember most Americans do not get their news from Huffingtonpost.com.

---------

So he gets it wrong on the surge timeline (which CBS attempts to cover up)...

Seems not to know that Pakistan does NOT border Iraq ??

There was the Sunni/Shiite flub (twice).

"President Putin of Germany" -- who could forget that one?

Czechoslovakia

"Troops down to pre-surge levels" -- not true.

Packers/Steelers...

I had to search hard for stories on his two latest gaffes. Nothing on the front pages of CNN.com or even MSNBC.com.

What gives?

2. Lugnuts

And I forgot the mixing up of Sudan and Somalia. I'm getting as bad as he is.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Because the media are in love with Obama.

4. Lugnuts

Seriously, though. Hillary's Bosnia thing got huge play -- rightfully so. Can someone explain this?

Is it that the media is now afraid of being accused of being liberal?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are a couple reasons...

McCain is getting about 1/4 the coverage Obama is getting, so positives and negatives get overlooked.

Most of the stuff (the non-war stuff) is just "who gives a shit" type errors. Who gives a fuck that he called the Czech Republic by its old name? If you do, you have too much time on your hands.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Yeah, I mean who cares that he mixed up Sunni and Shia? It's not like that could cause any kind of problem if he did it as president.

And who really knows that Iraq doesn't have a border with Pakistan? We're electing a president, not a geographer.

7. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

There's a simple answer. Because there's not anyone covering McCain.

The Tyndall Report, a news coverage monitoring service that has the broadcast networks as clients, reports that three newscasts by the traditional networks — which have a combined audience of more than 20 million people — spent 114 minutes covering Obama since June; they spent 48 minutes covering McCain.

Media bias?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

No shit...

9. Lugnuts

No coverage can amount to good coverage.

Okay... half of those gaffes are just 'who gives a shit' slips of the tongue. Sure.

Steelers/Packers was just pandering, and everybody does that, so who cares.

Sunni/Shiite mixups are disturbing.

It's annoying to me he's messed up facts about the surge because he's pinned his whole strategy on that.

He's supposed to be the foreign policy guru.

And I'm genuinely disturbed/annoyed (and not cheering) because the reality is, this guy could very well become president. "Annoying" is the perfect word for how I feel. Annoyed with him and annoyed with the media.

10. Lugnuts

Yeah, kind of... because much of the Obama coverage was negative... and much of it was about him as regards Hillary Clinton.

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

That must be why I heard just now from a political PR person who says the media are simply intent on electing Obama.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The media, then, are not taking advantage of all of their options with regard to McCain's incorrect statements about foreign policy.

If I were the media, my multi-faceted approach would not only involve more coverage of Obama, but I would take out negative references to him. In my limited coverage of McCain, I would try to play up the fact that he has these senior moments.

Draft saved Draft deleted