1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are you watching?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 22, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Funny you should say that. I watched ER during halftime. I draw the line at watching a halftime show, which I won't do for football, either. Saw Captain Wilma Deering as Dr. Green's girlfriend. Nice moment.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I was part of the generation that started playing soccer at 6 years old. I've always played, and I've always watched.

I didn't mind being stuck in the house with mono in 94 because I could watch soccer.

I almost missed my cousin's wedding in 98 so I could watch soccer.

I backpacked through D.C. for a weekend in 2003 so I could watch soccer live.

Soccer has always been part of my life. With the World Cup on, it would never occur to me not to watch.

3. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Same here.

I'm watching the U.S. and cheering for the U.S., but my interest in the Cup has nothing to do with how well our national team does. It's about England, Brazil, Argentina and the other unbelievable teams out there, and it's about super-entertaining games like yesterday between Serbia and Ivory Coast.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know why I'm watching. As I have posted before, I think that's because I'll watch people compete at anything. I watched a Foofy french chef take on Iron Chef Morimito on the Iron Chef the other day. That may be the dumbest competition ever and I watched it. So why not watch this?

5. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I love Iron Chef. I will not, however, watch the show where people battle to see who can make the most elaborate dessert.

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'm not.

But it's good to see Ragump is taking time out of his schedule of performing exorcisms to watch some World Cup.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I'm watching because I love soccer and this is its grandest stage, despite what the G14 might tell you.

Playing as a kid and watching World Cup '94 got me hooked. Now, I'll watch almost anything. I've made time to catch some decidedly average MLS games and some A-League USL games during the Cup.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

MMMMMM. If you ever get a chance to go to Morimoto in Philly, go.

Back on topic, I went to a soccer school (we didn't have football), so I love soccer.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What do you call a Ghanarean with 2 dogs ?

A : a caterer

thanks I'll be here all week .

10. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Alright, I don't want this to come off as yet another post bashing soccer. I really don't. If you like it, you like it, and I'm perfectly happy for you. I'm not trying to change your mind or poke fun at the sport.

I'm trying to watch this World Cup stuff. I'm trying my damndest to understand it and find some enjoyment in it. But I'm just not. I can't help it.

Here are my problems:

1. It seems to me that the damn goals are too far apart. There's all this running and running and kicking and heading and running and running from one end to the other. There'll be a streak of like 45 minutes in which nobody even takes a legit shot at the goal. But if you put those goals a little closer together, make this damn thing a bit more like foosball, hey, you've got something there.

2. The clock. WTF? I've got no idea how much time is left in any game. I keep hearing these announcers talk about the 91st minute or the 93rd minute, and I'm like, that's a lot of damn minutes. But nobody ever says, "(Blank) minutes to go here, really crunch time."

3. I assume that there are actual plays drawn up by the coaches, but I swear, the only one I've been able to spot so far is kick it to guy behind you, he kicks it back, you kick it to him on the move, he kicks it ahead to downfield guy, who may or may not be onsides (I think I've just about got this little penalty figured out) and downfield guys either races for the goal or gets himself all bottled up in the corner. If he races toward the goal, he'll do one of two things: Either rocket that bitch about six rows deep or pass to some other guy who has to contort his body in an unbelievable manner to even touch the ball, much less direct it toward the goal. If the downfield guy gets stuck in the corner, he then tries to either kick it off the guy guarding him so he can set it in the corner and shoot it into a large group of players in front of the net, or he just fires it wildly somewhere out front of the goal.

4. It seems as if there's way too much luck involved. The majority of the goals I've seen scored have come from that little corner kick thing, in which the ball is just kicked in amongst a whole herd of players. Most often, nothing good happens for the kicking team, but sometimes, some guy will bob his head just right and send one sailing into the goal. Just seems like a helluva lot of luck and not much skill. (And no, I'm not saying these guys aren't skilled. I'm just talking about that particular part of the game.)

Like I said, these are my problems. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, and as a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind someone changing mine. Obviously, a lot of people love this sport. I HAVE to be missing something.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wouldn't piss on an MLS  player if he was on fire.

But the World Cup is the biggest sports event on the planet. If you're a sports fan it's almost mandatory that you watch a little, whether you give two shits about soccer (and I don't) or not. Doesn't matter how the US does, I'll keep an eye on the tournament. I've had the games on my XM at the office since it started.

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Brain cells, absurdo dogturdo. Brain cells.

Draft saved Draft deleted