1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are we still in Iraq?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Jan 10, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Here are good questions, also:

Why are we still in Japan? Why are we still in Germany? Why are we still in Korea?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Methinks, you are comparing apples and really rotten apples that blow up in your face.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You, honestly and sincerely believe the president and vice president knowingly told flat-out, straight-up LIES that would get American servicemembers killed just so they could (insert motive here)?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Did they act with absence of malice? No

5. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

My question wasn't facetious. I want to know if the price of crude will plummet after a new president.

Ethanol isn't worth two shits as a fuel, and its production severely taxes an already tenuous water supply.

And Carter was a great president? Gimme a fuckin' break. Refinery construction ceased during his administration. Had it not, we would not be in this fix today. He did, however, give us 21% interest rates.
    Carter. Great. Jeebus.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What has this president and vice president done to convince you that they really care all that much about American servicemen and women?

7. three_bags_full

Answer my question (if you agree with the guy I quoted). Don't dodge it.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Once you light the fuse, it ain't easy to take it all back.

9. three_bags_full

Not much -- except give me a raise, or two ;D . But NOTHING has convinced me they LIED to start a WAR.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You've got to admit that at the very least they pressured folks to tell them what they wanted to hear to feel justified in marching to war.

11. three_bags_full

Or, they have a bunch of yes-men lined up and a terrible intelligence infrastructure.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I can't, Gunny.

Is it wrong to write a story but to ignore facts that you know are pertinent to the story? Yes.

Is that telling a lie? I don't know. It all depends what's your definition of a lie.

To me, though, that's lieing.

I feel Bush and many of his advisers knew information that gave them doubt about invading. This doubt, when talking about war, should have kept them out. They have committed a terrible sin, and if you believe that everyone is judged when they move on from this life, then they have a lot of explaining to do to someone.

Draft saved Draft deleted