1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are we still in Iraq?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Jan 10, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No, I don't think it would.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/bomber/b-1b.htm

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

C'mon, that's tinfoil hat thinking. This is about doing the right thing.

It's not like any companies with ties to Bush and Cheney are making millions on this war or anything.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's not about terrorists.

It's about oil. This will be proven true as time elapses.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Gunny, I know we could do it, but it would not be 15 minutes. It would be about 2-3 hours at the miniumum once the issue was ordered, after the clean up and the ships started forward again.

What if Iran sank a tanker or set the straight on fire?

5. three_bags_full

I'd hope we could beat them to it. Us with ships in the Gulf, and all.

6. George Will told the story about the Japanese general who, after given orders to bomb Pearl Harbor, asked the question, "And then what?"

Reminds me of Iraq and -- going to TBF's point -- Iran. Let's say we bombed Iran and took that hill. And then what?

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Isn't it a bit naive to expect the Iraqi government to be able to do much of anything? It strikes me as something like hoodlums breaking into a house where a 40-year-old man lives with his parents and has let them run his life so much he's crippled emotionally and functionally, so you kill his parents and tell him, "Stand on your own and run your life. Oh, you have 2 young kids your parents were raising? Good luck!"

8. three_bags_full

I'm sure there's a plan for a war with Iran. I'm not so sure, however, that plan starts with us invading and bombing. There'd probably, at this point, have to be a good bit of provocation, IMO.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I've said it before: They've been fighting in that area of the world for thousands of years, and they'll be fighting still in 2,000 years. Terrorists will never go away.

No matter what happens in Iraq (or Iran for that matter), those facts will never be altered.

10. three_bags_full

Completely agree, king. But that's exactly why we need to keep one eye on (at least) the region.

11. Well as long as there's a plan.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Maybe we should turn Iraq into a reality/game show. It would be in a similar nod to Temptation Island just replacing sex with death. We could have a last man standing obtaining prize money. We can reward a points system where using suicide bombers obtains less points than strategically place landmines or remote bombs.

Draft saved Draft deleted