1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are unpaid internships legal?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by IllMil, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Babs

Babs Member

My understanding of the law on unpaid interns is that they cannot be doing work that is the core of the money-making process. They can only do work that is in addition to what the normal workers do, it can't replicate it. This is why a lot of interns work for the charity arms of businesses. And why you see so many in non-profits.

Though of course not everyone follows the law.

2. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Guess that depends on if said unpaid intern is allowed to get another part-time job to compensate.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I can't accept a positon that pays less than federal or state min. wage, even if I want to. So the legal if I accept argument seems to have a lot of holes.

I also think that unpaid internships are only OK if you're getting some kind of college credit. At my shop, ours is unpaid and we're not allowed to have anybody that isn't both in school and getting course credits for the internship.

4. My experience just a year and a half ago was almost identical. At the time I had just finished college (without a j-degree, didn't decide to do that until after graduation) and had no clips and no experience whatsoever, not even with a college paper. I worked a full-time job second shift in a print shop (glorified Kinkos) for a year while I hassled editors and hiring people, offering flat-out to work for free as long as I got writing assignments and some editing experience. A tiny little community paper took me up on it and paid me $30 a story, and I did some editing one day a week before I went to my full-time regular job. Did that for a couple months, talked them into paying me $60 a story, then after six months I was able to go out and get a full-time asst. editor position at a small magazine where I've been for several months now.

I felt a little crappy offering flat-out to work for nothing, but you know what? Nobody was going to give me, a guy with zip-zero experience, a break simply out of the goodness of their heart while turning away experienced people with degrees. The only thing I had going for me was that I was already supporting myself and so could "afford" to work for nothing, so I don't feel any regret at having gone out and created my own opportunity. Frankly, you've gotta do what you've gotta do. And it let me get my foot in the door.

So, to the original poster: it sucks that companies can get away with this, but them's the breaks, at least at the moment. Everybody's told me every step of the way that this is a crappy profession to be getting into, and they weren't kidding. You say recent grads are getting screwed, but look at it this way: without working for nothing, it's likely the papers simply wouldn't hire ANY recent grads whatsoever, and then they'd REALLY be screwed. Especially people like me.

Did I get screwed? In a way. But I was willing to do it, because it meant a lot to me to be able to get some experience. And in the end, it was worth it. Without that experience, I almost certainly wouldn't have gotten my current job.

5. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Our paper only hires unpaid interns for class credit.

We have as many unpaid interns now as actual writers.

6. It's not even remotely the same thing, but that reminds me of a story I heard a while back: the Philadelphia Inquirer cut its paid internship program, but supposedly its union contracts forbid unpaid interns. Their solution? Ask the schools to pay the company so they could pay the interns. Nice.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Unpaid internships in which newspapers publish work of the intern is low life, classless bullshit. You publishers should be embarrassed to be members of the human race.
    My god ... pay for the work.

8. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

At my place we take unpaid interns only if they are receiving course credit. I've had a couple work for me and there's paperwork I have to fill out and send back to the university so they can get their credit.

We used to let the kids from the local university "work for free," but we had a problem once where someone complained about some problems with a story written by a college kid working for free. The kid had no accountability to us. He just disappeared and never worked for us again. So we stopped taking free work after that unless there's course credit (and hence accountability) involved.

This university still has a class that requires the kids to get a certain number of stories published, which I think is really a ridiculous expectation. I went to a pretty good J-school and never had any such requirement.

You might say there are plenty of Web sites out there where the kids can try get their stuff published, but I always feel like that's asking a lot of the kids and of editors. A kid comes to us and says "I have to get stories published to pass my class." A lot of editors will say, like Robert Duval's character in The Paper: "You do have a problem ... but it's your problem." We still have these kids coming at us asking to write for free and we turn them away now unless they're interested in an internship for credit.

9. Shark_Juumper

Shark_Juumper Member

My school had an endowment or grant or something that would pay half an intern's weekly salary so the paper would only have to come up with (back in the 90s) about $225 a week for a full-time intern. A lot of papers took on interns from my school specifically for that reason. It was kind of a double-edged sword. Many students got their foot in the door at places where they otherwise would have been overlooked. But more than one editor later said to me that they felt "stuck" with a certain intern because of the program and that they "got what they paid for."

Draft saved Draft deleted