1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are sports books a tough sell?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Dec 16, 2008.

1. swenk

swenk Member

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I just saw a news item that Dustin Pedroia has a book deal. So there's hope for everyone else. :)

Actually, I was wondering if there's interest in a thread about sports book deals; there are new deals being made every week, I'd be happy to keep a thread updating what's selling out there. Would this be useful to anyone?

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Leahy's book and Mark Bowden's "Bringing the Heat" are probably the two best sports books I've ever read, with Halberstam's Jordan book, FNL and Heaven is a Playground right there, but I bet the first two have barely been read by the sports book reading crowd at large.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm reading Will Leitch's "God Save The Fan" right now. It's the first book I've sat down with for a while, and only because a copy popped up in the department.

For 200 pages, I've been torn between two facts:

1. It is very readable stuff, lots of great anecdotes and "can you believe he gets away with writing that" items.

2. Will Leitch, like 47% of the writers in the world in this millennium, believes he is, at all times, the smartest kid in the room. And most notably, more than a little bit above any traditional journalists in the room.

4. In Exile

In Exile Member

I think that would be very useful.

5. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

Please do it, In Exile. Some of us are caught in a need-to-know stance on this topic.

6. swenk

swenk Member

Okay, let's give it a try and see if it helps anyone.

As for this particular thread, HarperCollins "restructured" itself this week and vaporized some good people (and divisions) who were devoted sports book buyers. It's not getting easier right now. But we'll get there.

Draft saved Draft deleted