1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Are People Posting Political Threads?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Jan 19, 2010.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The thing about this bizarro world that perplexes me is that the GOP is viewed favorably as some sort of cutting edge opposition party. It's baffling, I tell ya.

Oh and we should change the country's name to the The Loosely United States of the Banana Republic.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Where are these political threads Michael Gee was talking about?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One thing that is becoming abundantly clear (and has been to me for years now) is the American electorate has the memory of a mushroom. We'll just keep rotating idiots in and out of Washington every two years.

This is making the ground fertile for a third party. The question is, do the teabaggers strike out on their own to take advantage or do they submit to the wooing of the GOP? If the former, they'll split the vote and the Dems stay in power. If the latter, they'll end up taking over the party. Either way, it's bad news for the GOP old guard.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Isn't that for sure. Some of my Canadian friends think we have a corrupt system. I have to agree. We are the land of 41 percent, the new majority.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought a prorogue meant that you are for rogues.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

But there's a huge difference between a Christmas vacation and proroguing.

The so-called contempt for Parliament by Trudeau is NOTHING compared to Steve's. At least Pierre's disdain was directed at the opposition ("Once they get off the Hill, they are nobodies).

Harper just finds everybody, including his Cabinet Ministers, stupid and Parliament just gets in the way of his not too subtle attempts to do without it if things start getting a little messy.

I see a Super Burger bet coming on. The Conservatives will lose the next election.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Do the Dems stay in power, though? Here's the thing: Say the tea partiers do manage to win a few seats, so there's, for example, 49 Democratic seats, 42 Republican seats and 9 tea party seats.

The Democrats would maintain control of committee assignments and all that, which is a significant part of the power structure. But when it comes down to it, you can only vote two ways on any given bill: yes or no. It's unlikely to say the least that the tea partiers would vote with the Dems, so there's only one other option.

I suppose it's possible they would team with the Dems to vote down Republican legislation they didn't like ... but I don't think it's exceedingly likely, nor would it be particularly common.

And their own powers to introduce legislation would be minimal, especially without the support of either major party. They might get one guy on each committee; he can run all the bills he wants, but if he's just raising a middle finger to the establishment with a bill, he's gonna get voted down 13-1 every time.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We're still using a first-past-the-post system. A tea party party would lead to the Democrats controlling roughly 115% of all federal offices.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Which are more tedious, politics threads or antisoccer threads

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You dudes got it all wrong.

This is who you get to run for office.

Running for a seat in British Columbia is Ross Rebagliati

Remember him? He won a gold medal in snowboarding at Nagano. Unforutnately his medal was taken away after a drug test showed traces of marijuana. The finding was quickly overturned and the medal returned.

At the time PM Chretien phoned him to offer his support. And maybe to see if he could cop some dope, who knows?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/bureau-blog/ross-rebagliatis-dope-on-jean-chrtien/article1437338/

Ross's excellent adventure.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Turning out that Obama flying in to close a deal is the kiss of death.

Don't under estimate his repudiation of Cambridge police force as a factor in what is a huge loss for the democrat party.

12. Don't read them then.

Draft saved Draft deleted