1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are my HD channels the first to go out on DirecTV?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Why do you have both?

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've had the big dish, Dish Network and now cable. Since the big dish became obsolete, cable is definitely superior to me.

And you don't need a dish for HD. We have about 20 HD channels on our cable now. And yes, HD is worth it -- if you get a TV that makes it worth it.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No, I get that part, shottie. but 2much made the point that he had several channels that the only way to get them in HD was on Dish. I just said if I don't have an HDTV, then those channels would hold no charm for me.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Next step, IJAG: Get HD. You can afford it, moneybags. :D

5. imjustagirl

Oh, I could...if I wanted it. I have it at work. Doesn't look any different to me.

We've had this conversation on several threads. It's no crisper, no clearer, I don't see the pores on people's faces...the pinks are just a little brighter. Not worth the cost of a new TV.

6. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Fair enough. I disagree (about the change in quality), but fair enough.

7. imjustagirl

Oh, I know others see it. I think someone floated somewhere it may be a gender thing...that poster's wife couldn't tell a difference either.

I feel somewhat gypped...but it's saving me the $1200 I'd spend on a plasma. :D

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Can I borrow that $1200 you saved?

9. imjustagirl

No. I paid off one and a half of my credit cards. I have to get this credit rating fixed...my car (ha!) isn't going to last forever.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The eye of Hurricane Wilma passed over my house in 2005 . . . and I never lost DirecTV reception.

Only when the back end of the storm blew the dish off its mountings did I finally lose my signal.

Tip: If that ever happens to anyone, call DirecTV immediately to order a new dish/installation. Even in the middle of the storm. I did, and I got the dish re-installed in 4 days. Had I waited until the next day --- when hundreds of people were calling to have their dishes re-installed --- the wait would have been more than a month.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Are you Bo Diaz?

12. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

I really didn't have any problems with Time Warner Cable, but when I found out a neat little trick with DirecTV in which you can "change" your service address from your billing address I was sold.
    That little perk enabled me to get Chicago locals (and Bears games) while sitting here in bumblef@ck northeast Wisconsin, in high definition no less.
    Thanks DirecTV!

Draft saved Draft deleted