1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why are my HD channels the first to go out on DirecTV?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hustle, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

So we're enjoying the fruits of Hanna at the moment.

For a while, our standard-def channels held out, as they usually do. No HD signals at all. Anyone have any guesses as to why this is?

We're hanging on tenuously the SD channels; GameDay isn't pretty, but it's manageable.

And can someone explain just why coulds and rain are so detrimental to our signal?

2. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I'm guessing that the signal from the satellite that sends the HD signals is the one being blocked, not the SD.

Hanna is coming for us after you. I've only had one band so far that resulted in the "searching for satellite signal".

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I suspect HD signals require a helluva lot more bandwidth than SD signals, thus making them easier to mess up.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Someone please explain the joy of dish to me?

I have had my cable go out ... well, never. Dishes, apparently, if the wind blows go out. Or it rains. Or snow gets in it. Or leaves. Or a squirrel jumps on it. Or the sun shines.

I just don't understand.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I used to tell everyone they should have DirecTV, but since I've had Comcast cable, I've had ZERO issues. I get the same regular channels and more HD channels than DirecTV.

I suppose the only advantages of having DirecTV are the football and baseball packages. Whatever. I'm good with Comcast.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

I went through Tropical Storm Faye, getting an assload of rain dumped on me, and didn't ever lose signal. Even the HD channels stayed on.

Around here it's the only way to get NFL Network. And the local FSN affiliate. And the baseball games that are supposed to be on the other RSN. And the HD feed of that second RSN. And the HD feed of Speed Channel.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Ah, OK. So if I don't want extra packages, and if I don't have HD...then it's a waste of money. Awesome. :D

8. 2muchcoffeeman

Better signal, too, especially on the local stations that aren't affiliated with a major network. And picture quality on their digital tier blows chunks. For all the money they charge, the TV cable people here really suck at delivering TV programming to TV sets. :D

Maybe they're in the wrong primary business. They do a great job with cable internet.

If Verizon Fios or AT&T uVerse was offered here, I'd consider ditching DirecTV.

9. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Our tree is giving us issues with the dish when it rains or the wind blows from the south. In my old apartment it was never an issue, but since we bought the house it's a problem.

As soon as U-Verse is offered here (supposed to be the end of summer but I haven't seen anything yet), we're jumping.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

This may not apply to any other cable system anywhere but, before we got DirecTV, we lost the cable signal every time there was a thunderstorm. Not a "knock out the power" storm, just a couple of thunderclaps and there went the cable. Then it stayed out for several hours, where DirecTV comes back when the weather improves from wretched to merely dismal.

Add in the four sports packages we pony up for, and I'll stick with the satellite.

11. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I have never had an issue with my satellite going out for very long, except when there's a really bad thunderstorm

The only thing I would like to have is the same On Demand feature that Comcast offers. Pretty nifty.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I have both Comcast and DirecTV. Cable was out for three hours today after the Tropical Storm blew through. This was hardly a monster storm, more like a bad rainfall. DTV went out for about three minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted