1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why APSE?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Worse is relative. I think think of a lot worse than "dick." YMMV.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just don't tell him to die in a fire, right?

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Definitely don't do that. I find that reprehensible and anyone who uses it pretty much loses it with me. Anyone who has known anyone who has died in a fire or seen anyone who has died in a fire wouldn't even think of saying it even as a joke. I rank that well above "dick" on the reprehensible scale.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Just saying, in the right context, 'dick' could be a significant compliment.

I would think 'dickless' would be the insult you'd like to avoid.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If the context is like the guy who got stopped by the TSA, I'd deal with it. Hell, he's 10 times the man this old guy is, or something like that! But at least I'm cute.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

As has been noted, APSE goes out of its way to get people from smaller papers involved and in leadership roles. A few years ago I was asked if I wanted to be nominated for a vice president spot while I was the SE of a paper with a four-digit circulation. I regretfully declined because my company was switching to a regional copy desk and I didn't know what my job as going to be in two months, but I was anything but a "big player."

Also, you don't have to be an editor to join and you don't even have to be a member to attend some of the events.

It's far from a perfect organization, but you can get a lot out of it

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I used to get a kick out of APSE pontificating about ethics when AP has been known to steal stories from papers (beyond the normal "pick up"). I knew a suburban guy who had the exclusive on a major contract signing. The AP guy stole it, then claimed he had been working it, too. Yeah, surrre.

Another AP trick was to send a staffer to a no-hitter in the eighth inning so the story could have a (fraudulent) staff byline. I once saw a frazzled AP staffer trying to get up to speed on a no-hitter in progress from the stringer who had actually been covering the game.

But, damn it, don't take the 49-cent made-in-China cap they pass out on Cap Day.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Looking at it from the outside, I do give APSE credit for seminars specifically for the industry. I know SND would do an occasional Quick Course for sports designers, but the state association certainly doesn't. The state sportswriters association has been great with credential issues and dealing with the CIF.

But I consider APSE membership from time to time, and I quickly dismiss it. We're an under-10K shop and, in skimming the site, am not sure there's much we can benefit from ... aside from hanging with Moddy and a few others at a convention, of course. And I don't see much -- if anything -- happening on the West Coast.

Moddy, the floor is yours.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The convention was in Salt Lake two years ago.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Last time I was a member, dues were only $90 for small papers. My company would pay more than that to send people to seminars hosted by the Virginia Press Association, I told the managing editor we'd get more out of joining APSE, having our section critiqued by other members and going to the regional conference, which I caught a ride to with the SE from one of the bigger papers in the chain.

APSE paid for me to go judge the contest one year, which it will do once for people from small papers, and I learned 50 times more than I ever did at one of the VPA borefests.

The directory itself is almost worth the dues.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Moddy unleashes fire!

12. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

The namesake of Dick's Sporting Goods wonders what the fuss is about.

Draft saved Draft deleted