1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why APSE?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jul 22, 2012.

1. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Hell most newspapers today below the 100,000 line wouldn't pay for crap in terms of OJT. It's non-existent.
    Even as you look out in the parking lot and see four BMWs driven by ad sales people.

2. dog eat dog world

Make that 25,000.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If not many readers care about them, why are they covering them? That sounds like a problem right there.

I can't argue with you on the Albom thing. I don't know enough, I don't much like it. But I'm not going to use it as a club to condemn an organization that does way more good than harm, at least from my viewpoint. There were several sessions at this year's convention that dealt with the very topics you discussed.

Also, learn how to spell plagiarism. (says the guy who isn't sure he got it right)

4. dog eat dog world

Enlighten me on Hoppes 2010. Because that's about when we dropped membership.

5. Moderator1

I misspoke. It was Albom 2010 that has Stitch in an uproar. Albom won the Red Smith Award that year. That's what I meant. Have Hoppes on the brain. My apologies.

6. Rotund Desker

Rotund Desker New Member

The partnership between APSE and the International Sports Journalism Center hasn't really produced a significant impact as of yet, unless seminars about the importance of diversity in the newsroom was their ultimate end goal.

Maybe it will, in the future. But APSE, like the newspapers it is aligned with, is reactionary as opposed to progressive. A unique trait among such organizations, to be sure.

Anyway, Moddy figured out this new name of mine in record time, so he's at least a good private dick.

7. Moderator1

And just a plain ol' dick, don't forget that. Been called that by two of my favorite people tonight.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I'm sure I've called you worse, and vice versa. Does that particular one just rub you the wrong way?

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

For the most part, I've always found the contest to be a really great way to honor work and give people recognition. I love how it's blindly graded, although I understand that when someone enters with five L.A. columns about baseball scouts and other assorted tear-jerkers, among other examples, it's not hard to follow the bread crumbs to the source ...

The fox-in-the-henhouse episode will always irk me, where the MLB.com employee was permitted to judge. Just a colossal instance of poor judgment. Colossal. But overall, I like the contest, for sure, and think that it has at least tried to adjust go changing times.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

From experience: It's not just that word that rubs him the wrong way. :)

11. Moderator1

Oh, I've been called much much much worse. That one, does indeed, rub me very much the wrong way. Never hidden the fact.

If I was an umpire, my magic word wouldn't be the usual magic word!

12. Moderator1

Hey wait!?!? I'm slow. You're SURE I've been called worse!?!?!

Draft saved Draft deleted