1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why APSE?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Has their been an attempt to create an organization where the leaders aren't editors at big papers? It seems the industry probably needs an advocacy organization independent of big players. I know SPJ's leadership is diverse with several officers working as reporters or producers.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You're it! Create away. What's stopping you?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Don't be a dick as I know your agenda, or at least make a good guess as to what it is.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And the gloves are dropped before the national anthem.

5. Moderator1

A. Don't call me a dick in you want to stay around these parts. YOUR agenda, as it always is, is to cast the industry in a bad light (we know, you don't like sports writers) and to find another way to rip on APSE. You make your distaste of the organization clear, and I'm willing to bet you know very little about it beyond Albom 2010 (which causes your boner).

B. I didn't dispute your point. I said, hey, go ahead? What's stopping you. Many bitch, few have actual answers.

C. Refer to me as a dick again and you'll be referring to me as a dick elsewhere. I don't take that from anybody and I damn sure won't take it here.

I have no agenda, Mr. APSE Hater. You do. To find a way to rip APSE at every turn. So create the alternative you say is necessary. Do something besides bitch.

Or is that not as much fun?

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I'M LISTENING TO THE FUCKING SONG!!!!!!

7. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Wow, this got bent from the outset and I'm sorry I clicked it. I thought it would be informative but even the CEO got baited into a pissing match with threats. C'mon people....TWO really bad overreactions.

I could see the possibility that the APSE organization is filled with people, who with perhaps great passion for the business, are also tied by the balls to the corporate structure.
    But if you're looking for a union-type organization Stitch, I don't see it happening.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Not looking for a union. That's asking to get fired.

I don't hate sports writers. I don't care for the attitudes of the top leaders in the biz. Most of them, especially at small papers, have to work like a dog covering events not many readers care about at the expense of chasing interesting stories that are challenging. Most sports writers just want to write. Most sports writers want an organization that takes a tough stand against those who dishonor the profession through plagiarism. More and more sports writers need an organization that helps them either progress or offer tools to transition them out of journalism when layoffs come or they are just ready to leave.

9. Moderator1

You're a good dog, dog. But I don't take it well when the "d" word is used in reference to me!

Carry on.

(and APSE does have a VP from the "smaller" papers and works pretty hard at helping them - including paying their way to some things. But some people don't want to hear anything about that because it might reflect well on the organization)

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Now that's a bitch-slap.

11. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Nice. Very nice, Moddy. Two thumbs up.

12. Moderator1

Eh, thanks. I honestly don't enjoy doing that type of thing as much as it might seem. But to quote a line from my favorite movie - sometimes you just gotta say, "What the fuck?!?"

I'm pretty sure Tommy Deas from Tuscaloosa is the current VP representing the smaller papers. He's pretty damn sharp. He's around here now and then, perhaps he can weigh in with some things the group does to help the smaller papers. At least those that don't mind being "tainted" by APSE!!

Draft saved Draft deleted