1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Am I Friends With This Guy?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jul 29, 2009.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Maybe he found out that going to see an MLS game meant he was going to a soccer match.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine was out on the west coast for work and met up with one of our close college buddies for drinks - nothing too crazy because he had to work early the next day. The west coast kid was a notorious cheap-ass in college - his dad gave him a credit card for gas and other stuff, then he'd ask us for gas money if he drove and we'd tell him to give us his parents address so we could send the five bucks.
    They meet for drinks and the visiting buddy opens a tab. The west coast kid decides its open bar night for him and starts ordering jager bombs and drinks for random girls. At the end of the night, the tab was nearly $300. The west coast kid chipped in nothing.
    It wasn't the first time he did this. Another friend was out there for work and he brought a date for dinner. He didn't throw in a penny.
    He fits a certain stereotype to a T.

3. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I had a friend like Pete's. She did similar crap like your friend has. Cancelled plans last minute or just flat out forgot that we had made plans. Or something like she did on New Years Eve last year. We were going to meet up at a nearby bar to ring in the new year. I got there and couldn't find her. I called her and she says she decided not to go out but for me to come over. I get to her place a few minutes later and there's no sign that she's home. Lights are off. No response to my knocking on the door. And I put up with the shenanigans because every now and then a night of drinking would lead to bedroom debauchery. A couple of months ago I just got fed up with all of it. So now she's dead to me. First person that I've ever said that about and meant it. I think she's stalking me now.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Canceling plans at the last minute is one thing, but leading you on to think you might get some Happy New Year's treats is another.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Defriend him.

Too fucking easy.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Had a tennis partner do that on my Sunday mornings and after a couple of times I had to just tell him, sorry. This was the only time I could get off since we had two young boys and he really made me waste my only free time for the week.

I think these "flakers" have more free time than you do and they do not realize/care that they are killing yours while keeping their options open. Very inconsiderate.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I had a friend pull some flaky shit that ended up with me being alone on New Year's once, when I could have done any number of other things. Man, I was furious.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

A bunch of my friends from home are flaky and it bothers me to no end. If you make plans to do something then follow through. And if you say yes to playing a round of golf but decide to cancel, do it days, not hours, before so I can find a replacement.

It's one of the main reasons I'm perfectly happy that I'll have a new home in about a month.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

So if you fuck her now, is it considered necrophilia?

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

CLASSIC . . . KUDOS TO YOU!

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I had a friend write me today and say he saw this thread and wondered if I'd started it about him.

Give me a few more weeks.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

somebody is feeling guilty . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted