1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why all the over-the-top mourning for President Ford?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

http://www.aasfe.org/contests/2005winners/div4-generalcommentary.pdf

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

3. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

A big part of what's feeding the many newspaper and TV reflections on Ford is the stark contrast between his administration and Bush's, which is so very ironic given that Ford baptized the current administration (Rumsfeld, Cheney, GHW Bush).
    Because of those contrasts, and because of the perceived failings of the current administration, history is smiling on Ford, the so-called Accidental President.
    It all makes for interesting copy and talk show fodder.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

"Perceived failings" Billy?
    How about total fuck ups!

5. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Considering the constant overplay of every trivial thing that happens with Hollywood types and tabloid-type events (See latest arrest of wacko in Jon Benet Ramsey case)(; a few days' worth of remembering a U.S. presindet seems quite proper.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was around when Churchill died. Huge front page headlines in most of t he English speaking world. If my memory services me (which it does from time to time), his mourning out reaganed Reagan. Of course, the Brits have had a few centuries of practicing pomp and ceremony

Back in the day, Churchill was considered God.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

You're asking this question of a nation that set up a vigil for a horse that had broken its ankle?

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Know this . . . Barbaro deserves more respect for grace under pressure than does the current occupant of
    1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

LOL. I'll give you that one.

10. Jones

Jones Active Member

I mourn the death of any nacho-loving man.

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Was Reagan referred to as "President Pimp in the box?"

12. Huge post of the day.

Draft saved Draft deleted