1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whose death would cause the greatest stir?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Only including people older than 80 or known to be in poor health, whose death would lead to the biggest society stir? And, including only people you did not personally know well who also fall into those prior conditions, whose death would hit home hardest?

I don't think George H.W. Bush or Jimmy Carter, the two eligible presidents, would create too much fuss because of how divisive their legacies were. Nelson Mandela and Muhammad Ali strike me as two eligible people whose deaths would create massive shock waves. Fidel Castro and Robert Mugabe would, as well, for very different reasons. Queen Elizabeth's death would be the most obnoxious because it would be the story that never ends. God, I hate constitutional monarchies.

Twitter blows up over anyone's passing, but I think Michael J. Fox's death would really hit those in their 20s and 30s hard.

Clint Eastwood's death would hit me more than any other qualifying candidate, though I'm simply not a sentimental person. I wouldn't get hung up about any celebrity's death. Eastwood's would affect me most because some of his recent work has been excellent.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Queen Elizabeth II, at age 85, would cause a right worldwide stir upon her death.

Same for Pope Benedict XVI, age 84.

And Mikhail Gorbachev, age 80.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Benny's an excellent pull.

4. MisterIrrelevant

MisterIrrelevant Active Member

Abe Vigoda.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Steven Sondheim.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He's ineligible as an immortal.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Dalai Lama.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Gorbachev's only 80? I can't be the only one surprised by that, can I?

And yeah, I'd have to go for the Queen as well, at least for this part of the world.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Only 76, but yeah.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He's gotten more done than some damned football coach.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He's not even close to eligible at 6176.

Is Magic Johnson eligible? (I don't mean to imply that he would be a viable choice as the biggest death, but I imagine Lakers fans would take that one pretty hard.)

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

He's been the Dalai Lama for 61 years. He's been around longer than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted