1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whose death would be most significant?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by deskslave, Jun 25, 2009.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I think their news significance is higher, but if you're talking about deaths that'll cause the press to overreact and the world to sob, I don't think Ross and Taylor have anything on celebrities who thrive in the world of the Internet.

There will be many, many an Internet child who says, "Diana who?" and "Oh, some friend of Michael Jackson's" when those two die, but sadly, those folks - and their kids - will tear their hair out if Spears or Madonna kick the bucket.

And relevancy matters, too. Like has been said, Elvis' death was bigger, if just because he was an active entertainer at the time. Ross, not so much. (And she's so plastic these days I kind of figure she's only about 40 percent alive in the first place.)

But Spears will probably be irrelevant in a few years anyway. Or at least we can hope.

I'd remove Palin, the elder Bush and Spears and add Nicolas Sarkozy, Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton - but not in that order.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

All of them? Jeez, that would be something...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

When Elvis really dies, it'll be huge.

5. It's fine that you don't like him. But "he's horrible"?

Please.

6. When either Jagger or Keith Richards dies, it'll be enormous, largely because of the boomer significance. McCartney, too, but Lennon's death kind of mitigates that a bit. Those other two blokes have been playing together for nearly five decades.

Draft saved Draft deleted