1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whose career-altering/ending injury do you remember?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Garrett Stafford after taking a two hander in the face from Alexander Perezhogin in an AHL game a couple of years ago?

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Eddie Lee Ivery...he coulda been a contenda...

3. happygirl

happygirl Member

Tons of 'em in Boston. Someone mentioned Pats' Darryl Stingley and BU's Travis Roy (both paralyzed after contact); Sox's Tony C (beanball); Sox's Bryce Florie (line drive to the eye); Sox's Jeff Gray (stroke), the Celts" Reggie Lewis (heart arrythmia) and the Bruins" Normand Leveille (spelling?), who suffered a stroke. Must be the water.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Cunningham had a phenomenal year in 1998, but it was more of a fluke than anything. He was laying tile the previous summer, and if I'm not mistaken he was back at it a year or two later. He began the year as the Vikings' backup, and didn't take over as the starter until Brad Johnson gor hurt around week 5 or 6.
    Cunningham caught fire and had the benefit of throwing jump balls to a young, not-yet-insane Randy Moss and a Cris Carter who was still in his prime. In '98 he was very much a pocket passer, not the running threat he was before the injury. Great year, sure, but a far different player than he was 8 years earlier.

5. happygirl

happygirl Member

Maybe I should add Drew Bledsoe to the Boston list.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Didn't read the whole thread, but McGahee getting his knee destroyed in the Orange Bowl was pretty gruesome.

Jason Kendall and the ensuing photos of his bones sticking out of his ankle were memorable.

Rudy T. running into Kermit Washington's fist might be the worst one, especially when you see the photos from the hospital.

Not nearly as bad as any of those was the hellacious hit Paul Kariya took in the playoffs a year or two ago. Dude was out cold before he hit the ice and I'm pretty sure he stopped breathing for a moment. You can see the exact moment he regained conciousness because a sudden puff of breath fogged up his visor.

Oh, and whoever made the Thurman Munson crack is one cold-hearted SOB.

7. KP

KP Active Member

Who got jumped by Bertuzzi? Moore?

8. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

KP - Steve Moore.

Thanks for the suggestions, but it was five or six years ago, well before the lockout. I think it happened in a game against the Coyotes because I remember the guys in the ugly logo standing around on the ice.

Draft saved Draft deleted