1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whose career-altering/ending injury do you remember?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 8, 2006.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Can't believe no one has mentioned Darryl Stingley.

And can someone post the aforementioned link to the Theismann injury? Believe it or not, I still have never seen that play.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Man ... can't believe I forgot that. NOTHING matched the feeling of that.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Malarchuk is easily the first one that came to my mind. Still makes me sick to my stomach. Can't watch it. Too much blood.

Travis Roy. First shift in college. "You come that close to your dream ..." (Oh, and it was 11 seconds, not 13. He's got a book out called "Eleven Seconds.")

Tony Conigliaro is the one who best fits Columbo's revised criteria.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Great one.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ooh, and another great one -- better than Tony C:

Herb Score.

6. The Basement

The Basement Member

I've seen this. For some reason, this popped to my mind first with injuries i remember.

With the way the thread was meant to be started, it's got to be Bo Jackson. Granted, the split time may have prevented him from putting up true HOF numbers in either sport, but I think in the end he would have been on the fringes of both, making for an interesting debate.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Chuck Hughes, UTEP/Lions. At the time I didn't think it was possible to die playing football.

8. tommyp

tommyp Member

1. Theismann
    2. Bo Jackson
    3. Dave Dravecky

9. I'm too young to remember a lot of these injuries firsthand, but through the miracle (and sadomasochistic paradise) that is YouTube, I've seen the Napoleon McCallum and Joe Theismann leg breaks...not a good look. However, I do remember ABC 6 Action News in Philly showing footage of Hank Gathers collapsing. As an eight year old, that probably was the single most eerie sight of my childhood.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Gathers and Reggie Lewis both had in-game collapses before their deaths.

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

No, I wouldn't say your were wrong, Columbo. Harper started out with the Cavs and then the Clippers somehow convinced them to take I'd-rather-play-in-Italy-than-for-you draft pick Danny Ferry for him. Harper was awesome upon joining the Clippers, but then blew out his knee after just a few games with them.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Gotcha.

Draft saved Draft deleted