1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Whose career-altering/ending injury do you remember?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Clint Malarchuk. Getting your aorta cut by a blade in the crease, then spewing out gallons of blood has a way of affecting your career.

My favorite, of course, is Theismann. Why? Because it ushered in the too brief Jay Schroeder era in Washington.

Though as a longtime Les Boulez fan, I do have a soft spot for Hot Plate.

2. the fop

the fop Member

Tim Krumrie.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The lick Scott Stevens put on Lindros in the playoffs a few years back.

Guy was never the same.

4. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

Jugular. But I agree completely. And it has the biggest ick fator of any injury for me.

Other hockey - Trent McCleary (puck to the throat, crushed his larynx and forced him to retire) and Bryan Berard (stick to the eye, knocked the liquid inside his eyeball out, took several years to get back in the league).

5. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

One more hockey - Donald Audette (had his wrist skated over by another player; two of the three major tendons in his wrist were completely severed - if the third has been severed, his hand would have been severed on the ice).

Bo Jackson - I'll always remember watching that game on TV, thinking to myself "that doesn't look good".

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Wendall Davis blowing both knees out simultaneously at the Vet.

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Tyrone Prothro, University of Alabama wide receiver.
    I was at the game, and I'll never forget the picture the Birmingham News ran the next day of the impact, with the upper part of the ankle facing the right way, and the bottom half/foot facing the WRONG way.
    Gruesome.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Darrien Hatcher's dirty hit on Jeremy Roenick. Major setback in Roenick's career and the beginning of the end of the Blackhawks as a competitive franchise.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon.

Dirtiest hit I ever saw.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Just a year ago: Jiri Fischer

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Napoleon McCallum, you mean....

I blew the thread... I meant who looked like they would have a hell of a career, but got blown out of the water.....

Carry on. My bad.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

If that's the case, Billy Sims.

Draft saved Draft deleted