1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Who's your roommate?"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Verne's mention about two players who hooked up on a Tennessee bucket and assist that "they're roomates" reminded me of something I was thinking about awhile back. Do you think it's appropriate to ask a college player "Who's your roommate?" Mostly, it happens when fishing for an angle on a feature. There used to be a reporter on my beat who did this regularly and I noticed some of the athletes seemed put off by the question.

Is it any different than asking a kid who his friends are on the team, how many brothers and sisters he has, or who he hangs out with? I always felt like these questions were more pertinent than the roommate question. I always stayed away from the roommate questions unless the subject brought it up first. What kinds of personal questions do you think are appropriate of college athletes, and what kind of information do you think it's appropriate to share with readers about a college kid's personal life?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: "Who's your roomate?"

How in the world would asking who someone's roommate is be inappropriate?

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'm all about personal questions if they're probative of some characteristic I want to explore. For example, if I notice a guy makes a special effort to take teammates under his wing then I tend to think there's something in the guy's background that might make him that way. So even though it's personal, it's relevant to his character and I don't mind asking about that background.

On the other hand, the roommate question is a personal question that is completely irrelevant as a stand-alone question. I'm not sure it's appropriate to go fishing there just out of the blue, like I've seen done before. "Who's your roommate?" asked out of the blue always seemed inappropriate to me. Maybe it's just me.

4. imjustagirl

I guess to me it just reads as finding someone else you can talk to about that person. Find out what he's like away from the court. What does he do to relax? Does he pray before bed? Does he go to sleep with headphones on? What does he listen to, if he does? Does he have lucky socks?

Stuff like that.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I would stay far, far away from the "Do you pray before bed?" question, but rather go after the one thing every college kid does: play video games. And they probably play with their roommates. That could be a good lead into the question.

6. imjustagirl

I was just randomly coming up with ideas. Hell, the next time you hear me ask about prayer will be the first. :D

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Maybe he just doesn't want to find out the player is a "confirmed bachelor"

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

That would put us in the same category. :D

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I just pray that the two of you stop praying to be the one who prays less.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Who prays less, pray tell?

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You could just not be so damn awkward about it and ask if he rooms with a teammate or another University athlete.

Asking "who is your roomate" sounds creepy. Why don't you ask him if he has a younger sister too?

Draft saved Draft deleted