1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's your major Major Ogilvie?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Aug 17, 2006.

1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Forget all the exaggerations. I give you Tuskegee QB Kevin Huff and the wonderful world that is Division II football eligibility rules.

Huff began his career at some D-I program. Was redshirted a year and played the next year. Transferred out and to Tuskegee, where he played one year and was then hit by academic troubles. Transferred to a JC to get those straightened out. Was at the JC for three years, of which he played football for two. Returned to Tuskegee, somehow, as a junior. Was forced to sit out another year because of academic problems, came back the following year -- STILL AS A JUNIOR -- and is now about to start his final season as the Tuskegee QB.

If you add all that up, you get this: Huff is now 28 years old and has been in college and on scholarship for nine years.

2. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Somebody mentioned D2 North Alabama earlier. TB Clarence "The Count" Johnson's media guide bio used to list him as having played 1980-86.

Of course, this is the same school whose most famous former students are Goober, Wimp, Julio and the latest addition to the list, the freak who killed JonBenet (allegedly).

Nice.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Julio went to college? That's MY major Major Ogilvie...

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'll never forget Winston Bennett crying when Kentucky issued the commemorative plates after his 25th season of eligibility.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Eddie Robinson at Grambling. It's like he was there for half a century.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I think Freddie Capshaw was punting for the 'Canes when Howard Schnellenberger coached there.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Jamie Gladden, Xavier

I still look for his name come tourney time in their blurb.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Guy on a team I covered redshirted in 1994, went on a two-year mission, then played 1997-2000. He was 25 years old in his final game. Played under three head coaches and four defensive coordinators.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Damn it Slappy, you forgot about Jess Settles (1994-2002). He played for Dr. Tom. He was Tom Davis's version of Carfino.

10. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

He's already been mentioned..... but you are right. I think he actually has an appeal out for a 10th year of eligibility. :D

11. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Is Sam Okey still eligible too?

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cholie Batch had something like 13 pretend (and six actual) seasons at Eastern Michigan, which is kinda like the kid from Tuskegee I suppose, without the stringent academic requirments.

Draft saved Draft deleted