1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's your homeboys (or homegirls)?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Jan 18, 2007.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Baseball: Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Carl Crawford, Josh Beckett, Adam Dunn, Scott Kazmir, Andy Pettitte, Woody Williams, Josh Barfield, Philip Humber, Chris Snyder, to name a few

2. mureporter

mureporter New Member

Current job but played before my time here: Don Beebe
    Old job and I actually covered some of his games: Dominnic James, Marquette point guard, Big East Freshman of the Year last season

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Basically I can only go NHL and up coming NHL, because nobody will know our university products up here in Canada.

NHL: Wade Redden, Jeff Freisen, Mike Rathje, Sheldon Souray, Scott Hartnell
    Former NHL: Lance Ward, Cory Cross, Ace Bailey, Cody Rudkowski
    Upcoming NHL: Tyler Weiman (Colorado goalie), Clark McArthur (Buffalo Forward), Kyle Brodziak (Edmonton forward)

Olympic Speed skater: Chrissy Myers

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Biggest name from my small hometown is Tommy Aaron, 1973 Masters champion.

We've only had three players (soon to be four) make it to MLB (although, coincidentally, two of them were on the same field in 1988):

Jody Davis, still-popular ex-Cubs catcher
    Cris Carpenter (a Cardinals RHP, but not the Cy Young winner)

(The third was Ivy Wingo, a catcher for the Reds/Cardinals for many years and who played in the 1919 World Series for Cincy)

Had one or two hometown NFL guys in the '60s, Mike "Moonpie" Wilson (who made it to the Super Bowl with the Bengals in the '80s), and one or two reserve guys in the league recently.

Lot of college footballers, but no big, big names. Chan Gailey was born in my town, but not raised there. Covered Darius Walker when he was in high school, and played against Tim Wansley (baseball, not football) when he was in high school.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Eric Bergoust (sp) -- Olympic Aerialist and former world record holder

Ryan Leaf (he's from Montana, dammit!)

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

MLB -- Jimmy Gobble, Billy Wagner
    NFL -- Mike Compton, Thomas Jones, Julius Jones, Jason Witten, Heath Miller, Steve Spurrier

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Small list from my hometown. I know there are more but the two since I was in high school are:

NFL: Justin Smith and Justin Gage.

Like I said, I know there are more, but I don't want to try to remember who they are right now.

8. Chef

Chef Active Member

NFL: Steve Tasker
    MLB: none
    NCAA: Eddie Sutton was born and raised about 1 hour from here.
    NHL: Muahahahaha

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

From my present shop
    Currently in NFL: Roy Williams (Lions), Shaud Williams (Bills)
    Former NFL: Britt Hager, et al
    Track and Field: Toby Stevenson (silver medalist in pole vault at Athens Olympics)
    Baseball: A handful of minor leaguers

Also, the local junior college has seen a boatload of pros (NBAers Larry Johnson and Craig Ehlo, two many rodeoers to count)

At a former stop, I covered wrestler Brandon Slay while he was still in high school and Alex O'Brien had a pretty good run on the men's tennis tour.

My hometown produced a fellow named Jerry Tubbs, a two-time All-American at Oklahoma who went on to play and coach with the Cowboys during the Tom Landry era. Another little town about 40 miles away produced Bob Lilly. Yes, there was a little bit of pressure to be a Dallas fan in that area.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

My hometown's never actually produced a major-league athlete ... but we did win the 1990 U.S. Little League championship.

Followed, of course, by the inevitable 11-0 beatdown at the hands of the Taiwanese infidels. ;)

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

NFL: Yancey Thigpen, Don Stallings, Julius Peppers, J.J. Arrington, T.J. Williams
    College basketball: Phil Ford
    NBA: Buck Williams
    WNBA: Tynesha Lewis
    MLB: Guys many years ago whose names I forget. Nobody major.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Nada in my circ area. My hometown is a different story, but they all are NASCAR drivers.

Draft saved Draft deleted