1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's your favorite obscure band, musical artist?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

The Exploding Hearts
    Os Mutantes
    The Beat
    Shoes
    The Monks
    The Outsiders
    Q65
    Love (They had two actual hits and a gold record, so they probably don't count.)
    Skip Spence (He was at one point a member of the Jefferson Airplane, so he probably doesn't count.)
    13th Floor Elevators (One of their songs is in a Dell commercial, so they probably don't count anymore.)
    The Move (Not considered obscure in the UK.)
    Serge Gainsbourg (Not considered obscure in France.)

2. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Wow! She looks really good for a 41 year old woman with a kid!
    Oh, speaking of other 90s-folkie types whose audiences were made up almost entirely of dudes with crushes on them...any love for The Sundays? My man Del_B and I had a chat about them a while back.

3. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Binary Star
    Immortal Technique

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Captain tractor
    Corb lund
    White Mud Drive

5. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

emmet swimming — Great little band out of Fairfax, Va. that recently got back together. "Wake" is their best record, but "Big Night Without You" is the one newbies should start with. Great stuff — they might just be my favorite band ever.

And I'll third-up Guster. Been a fan of them for years now, and they just keep getting better. Melodic pop. Moody lyrics. Good shit.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

John Prine. I've heard only one disc of his that disappointed me . . . I think he made it right after a breakup.

If you're in the right mood (i.e., beered-up enough), Austin Lounge Lizards

Micropolitan Guy, if you ever put together a mix CD, send me a copy.

7. Susan Slusser

Susan Slusser Member

Some great names on here already.....I'd add:
    Sad Lovers and Giants
    Wire Train
    The Chameleons
    Autour de Lucie
    Gene
    The Connells
    The Rifles
    Hard-Fi

The last two probably will appeal to all you fans of the Jam (i.e., the best band ever). And for you SoCal Jam fans, Paul Weller is playing three nights in a row at the Avalon in Hollywood. Judging by recent setlists, he's playing a lot of Jam and Style Council songs, and tickets still appear to be available for Sunday.
    There's nothing else going on that day, right?

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Not sure how you define 'obscure'. John Prine hasn't been an obscure artist since the early 70s. He's won Grammys and written hit country songs.

9. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

me, too. I should have listed him. Once did one of his songs at an open-mike night.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I have just about everything they've ever recorded. Good stuff.

11. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

We all have a different definition for obscure.
    It would seem like obscure in this context might mean going to the mall, the grocery store or chain restaurant and doing a survey. As much as some of us love these artists and don't think they're so obscure, it's possible 95-98 percent of the common folks at malls and stores and restaurants wouldn't know John Prine, despite the fact he's such a talented and accomplished artist.

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

You could say the same about almost any artist other than The Beatles or Elvis or Frank Sinatra. It's possible 95-98 percent of the common folks at malls and stores and restaurants wouldn't know George Jones, Ray Davies or Otis Redding. That hardly makes them obscure.

Draft saved Draft deleted