1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's your favorite obscure band, musical artist?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wedgewood, Feb 1, 2007.

1. The Detroit Cobras - '60s soul meets garage rock. Their first two albums "Mink Rat or Rabbit" and "Life, Love & Leaving" are outstanding. Strong live shows too.

The Gourds - alt-country group best known for their hillbillyish cover of Snoop Dogg's "Gin & Juice", they accurately describe themselves as playing "music for the unwashed and well-read." The Old 97s aren't nearly as obscure, but are worth wider play as well.

For old time's sake, everyone who loves straight ahead rock n' roll should own "Seconds of Pleasure" by Rockpile.

Cherryholmes, if you like bluegrass.

Brave Combo is outstanding, especially live.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Copper Box, a local Wisconsin band with unique instrumentation led by a talented accordian player.

www.copperboxsite.com

You can listen to some stuff online, but it doesn't come close to their live sound. And they do a mean "Pink Floyd Polka" ; )

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

LOVED The Jam. Way too British with their accents, looks, language and subject matter to make it big in the US. But damn, a fine band indeed. Paul Weller's solo stuff is uneven (and Style Council was just way too Euro for me) but I really liked Wild Wood.

Speaking of across the pond...how about Stiff Little Fingers...The Clash of Ulster!

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hockey Night
    Grizzly Bear
    Belle & Sebastien
    Rainer Maria
    ... And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
    Silversun Pickups
    Neko Case
    Breaking Laces

... that's some of the obscure stuff I'm really liking now

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

My Bloody Valentine -- "Loveless" is one of my top 5 albums of all time. Imagine the Smashing Pumpkins if Billy Corgan wasn't such an egomaniac and a douchebag. And he took LOTS of drugs. And D'Arcy did a little bit of singing. And you left their tape in your car during the hottest week of the summer. And then you played the half-melted tape. That's just what they sound like!

Mary Lou Lord -- this jangly singer-songwriter. "Some Jingle-Jangle Morning" is one of my alltime favorite songs. Why she didn't get to be as big as Jewel or Alanis Morrisette during the mid-90s, I'll never know.

Eugenius -- power-pop group from Scotland. One of Kurt Cobian's favorite bands.

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Billy Pilgrim, aka Andrew Hyra & Kristian Bush.

They're just a couple of guys with guitars. I fell in love with them over Accepted Students' Weekend at Emory University entirely too many years ago. They got signed to a major label, rerecorded many of the songs that they'd put out on their indie CDs, then quickly returned to obscurity.

I recommend their first CD, "St. Christopher's Crossing."

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Rod Picott
    Slaid Cleaves
    Tift Merritt
    Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers
    Waco Brothers
    Old 97s (not too obscure, but without radio airplay I'll consider them obscure)
    Pistoleros
    Joe D'Urso & Stone Caravan
    Terri Hendrix
    Kasey Chambers - not really obscure since one of her songs - The Captain - was on an episode of The Sopranos a few years ago
    Joe Ely
    Dan Bern

8. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien (Ice Cube's cousin)

The Pharcyde, although they did have a slight bit of a breakout in the mid-90s.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It's great to see the love for the Jam and My Bloody Valentine.
    Now if we can find fans of:
    Catherine Wheel
    Love Spirals Downwards
    Lone Justice
    X
    Lyres
    Human Sexual Response
    Gun Club

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bill Deasy, formerly of the equally obscure band The Gathering Field.

Mostly performs locally in Western Pa. Does more songwriting than performing at the national level.

Also wrote and performed "Good Things are Happening," which was the theme song for one of the national TV morning shows, I think Good Morning, America. And that song is absolutely his worst work that I've heard.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Ray Bailey. A blues guitarist with only one known CD -- Satan's Horn. I've had it since the early 1990s. He now plays in a dive blues place in Los Angeles, but he's still awesome.

Joe Bonamassa. Another blues guitarist who can also play great rock stuff. He does a cover of Led Zep's Tea for One on his most recent album. Kicks arse! Find him in the blues section.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Let me add to the raves about Brave Combo. Check them out ... http://www.brave.com/bo/

I've found myself listening to STS9, an electronica/jam band. I never have listened to much electronica, but the jam band element drew my interest ... http://sts9.com/info.php?i=1905

Alejandro Escovedo is good too ... http://www.alejandroescovedo.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted