1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's your favorite guy to play as in the NES classic "Pro Wresler"?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jims242, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Jims242

Jims242 Member

I gotta go with Fighter Hayabusa and his dreaded "back-brain kick"

2. wasn't there a character named starman? If I'm thinking right, he's my guy.

3. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Once I got down the timing of the back brain kick, Fighter Hayabusa was my man too.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Gotta go with Starman. His flying chop off the ropes was always a lifesaver after the damn computer reversed your suplex three times in a row and had you on the edge of defeat.

Always liked the Amazon, too. His little "What did I do?" gestures after chowing down on somebody's face were great. Screw Ric Flair. Between the illegal moves and the fish smell, the Amazon was the dirtiest player in the game.

5. King Slender - master of the backbreaker

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Probably Kin Korn Karn -- those karate kicks of his were a great way to keep the cheating computer off you.

That said, I hated Fighter Hayabusa.

Amazon ruled. The chomp and choke were unstoppable. Starman's spin kick was lethal. Giant Panther's claw was pretty cool. And King Slender's backbreaker was a great move as well.

I might have to hit the basement now and play that for a little bit...

7. Man, you took me back with this one.

Amazon. Love that choke hold and how he looked aruond as if to tell the ref, "No, No. I didn't do anything!"

Starman is a close second.

8. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

I played Starman and won every match the cheap way...careening back and forth between the ropes at the top of the screen until the naive AI led the opponent right into my path and then, BAM! flying cross-chop. Over and over again until he finally wore out.

Not even the Great Puma could compete with that mighty tactic.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

But Giant Panther is The Ultimate Human Weapon!

A winner is you!

Also, according to Wikipedia so you KNOW it's true: Of the four wrestlers who had their birthdate listed, Kim Corn Karn is now 65, Hayabusa turned 56 a few days ago, Panther is 55 and King Slender is 46. The other three are unknown. And if this is anything like real pro wrestling, at least four of these guys are dead.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I would venture a guess that Panther died three years ago from overdosing on a combination of orange tanning cream and painkillers.
    King Slender strikes me as an alcohol and vicodin man. I could totally see him going the Johnny Grunge route, dying on the floor of a friend's trailer as a penniless has-been. Poor bastard was just never the same after getting that nasty infiection the night the Amzaon beat him for the title by using the illegal Piranha Bite.

Kin Korn Carn and Hayabusa, though, seem like the type that'd have long careers. I bet they're still wrestling in Japan or on the Indy circuit and doing well for themselves. A Hayabusa-Terry Funk matchup would sell out the Odessa Fairgrounds for sure.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Starman probably went the Eddy Guerrero route where he nearly fucked up his life, cleaned himself up but the residual damage to his heart was too much. Hayabusa probably owns some second-tier Japanese group, making occasional trips to ROH. Amazon is fighting Abdullah the Butcher and New Jack in front of 30 people at the East Bumfuck Community Center.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So is Great Puma going the Hogan route and doing reality shows on VH1?

Draft saved Draft deleted