1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's your elephant in your newsroom?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

At least one person on our over-populated prep desk irritates me every week. Two of them work very hard, the others just don't. Some of them have been doing this forever and still have to be assigned anything to work. And one of them has turned down stories because it would take him over his "hours" ... he gets paid for 40 and works about 30, if that. They regularly piss me off to no end ... lazy ingrates.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That was a hell of a rant. Nicely done.

Why is it that the Obit Lady almost always seems to be the oldest, nastiest and thoroughly most unpleasant person on payroll?

3. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

Hilarious and sad at the same time. Fantastic rant.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

We have a couple. Both are editors of various sections. All the reporters work their butts off to get the stuff done when we need to have it done.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Looks like she got the last laugh. Bet you never thought she'd be a rich and (in)famous author someday.

[​IMG]

6. tardreedo

tardreedo Member

Mine's a fellow reporter who is not in sports. She's terrible. She's an authority on EVERYTHING. The worst part is when having a conversation with her when you know she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about. You could mention one little detail and she'll expand on it without ever making a point or ever improving what you said. She'll just take your views and run with them and make them her own. It's a friggin' amazing talent. Too bad she can't use that talent to improve her writing.

The only good thing I can say is she churns out the copy.

That doesn't mean it's good though.

Since my boss of our small shop was gone last week, I had to assume the editor duties. The reporter handed me a 29-inch story on a guy who was honored by the mayor at a town hall function for saving someone's life with CPR. The paragraph that mentioned the guy was being honored was in literally the fifth-to-last paragraph. It was impressive ...

Another former co-worker absolutely could not stand her. He (and the rest of the office) knew she was a total hack. He bitched to the boss several times about her, but the boss never did anything about it. I guess there are no rules against being an idiot. Damn ...

I try not to talk to her unless forced.

Her personal life is just a nightmare too. She's got four kids, but won't actually admit to anyone she has kids at all. I had mentioned in passing to another co-worker that she had kids and the co-worker was dumbfounded. The co-worker has been at our place for just under three years.

Apparently she's going through some custody battle with her ex and she's been missing a lot of work time due to the court proceedings. However, she won't say why she has to go to court, yet everyone knows what's going on. She also is nearly deaf. You have to repeat EVERYTHING you say to her and she refuses to get hearing aids. There are so many other things I could mention about her ...

Somebody rescue me.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I worked with someone like this. It's extremely annoying, yet I don't know if the employer can do much about it.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What did you say?

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It's more like:

"Huh?!"

200 times a day.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's good.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We've got one female editor in Living. And for all I know, she's good at what she does. But anytime I'm in dayside to do a special section or something like that, I can count on, at five points during the day, jumping three feet straight out of my chair when she finds something ... anything ... funny.

YEE-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good thing she doesn't read SportsJournalists.com. She would be ROTFLOL

Draft saved Draft deleted