1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's your current favorite artist? Who else has topped your list?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Giggity, Jun 10, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My wife and I checked out his gallery in Key West on our honeymoon and we were pretty blown away. He's got a great eye and incredible skill. Every pixel of his images is tack-sharp, from foreground to deep background (D_B??). On top of his talent, he uses metallic paper and mounts his images to an acrylic face, which gives them an incredible vibrance and depth that you don't see in a normal print.

After seeing his work, I began offering prints using the same materials and they're now among my best sellers (though I'm nowhere close to his price stratosphere).

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Seinfeld has a high Weenie Factor, though. Louis CK is much more fun.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The Doors
    M.C. Escher
    P.J. O'Rourke
    Thin Lizzy
    Jason Isbell
    Drive-by Truckers
    Jon Krakauer
    Erik Larson
    Bill Bryson

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Krakauer is a good one and should probably be on my list as well.

Also, Stephen King and Michael Crichton.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I can see that. Louis CK gives fewer shits than Seinfeld does, too. Probably why he comes across as much more fun.

But I could watch Seinfeld talk to anyone. He did an interview with a rapper whose name escapes me for a magazine whose name escapes me that was hilarious. Clearly, because I know all the details, it made an impact.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Jason Isbell
    Amy Schumer
    Tina Fey

I've also read every Bill Bryson book.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Forgot about Bryson. Love his work.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

My wife's niece is a working artist. We went to her first gallery opening in October of 1988. Arthur Price was also featured in that show. I love his work. Flip through a gallery or two.

arthur price | artist

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Music: Queen, Garth Brooks, the Zac Brown Band, Chopin, many Broadway musicals (I have the Original London Cast, the Original Broadway Cast, the 10th Anniversary, the 25th Anniversary recordings and the Movie Soundtrack of Les Miserables, which I've also seen in person).
    Comedy: Bill Engvall, Eddie Izzard
    Movies: Pixar and Disney movies
    Books: I am a Meg Cabot fiend (I own almost every book she's written).

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Should have added:
    Stephen King
    Tom Robbins (although his misogynistic tendencies wear thin)
    Alexander Calder, who was so cool that he designed a way to answer the door when he was in the tub; just amazing mobiles and sculptures. Went to a small art gallery in Chicago that had some of his work, and I was blown away.
    Van Gogh. I went to the National Gallery of Art when they had the Van Gogh's Van Goghs exhibit in 1999. The line stretched around the building, but it was worth the wait to see his paintings up close and really get a sense of the power and beauty of his brush strokes. I'd love to go to the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Current for me would be Jim Gaffigan. Just makes me laugh anytime I see or hear his act.

Previous ones would have been heavily weighted to music: REM, Tom Petty, Sammy Hagar, The Who, and The Beatles in reverse order. May have mixed in a Cheryl Ladd or Cheryl Tiegs in my early adolescent years....

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Over the span of about 30+ years...

Pete Townshend
    Elvis Costello
    Woody Allen
    U2
    Neil Finn
    Coen Brothers
    Andy Kaufman
    Keith Haring
    Carl Hiaasen