1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's who on ESPN CFB broadcasts this season...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Verne and Gary Danielson are a great team. Danielson really knows the game.

I've really come around on Brent. Hated him on NBA.
    His energy and enthusiasm seem to be a good fit for college football.

Jack - comparing Pam Oliver to Ray Scott- you are kidding right?

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Well...

I'm not sure I can remember the last SportsCenter I watched with two white guys on at the same time. (and I don't have a problem with it one way or another... but it is noticable).

As a former sportscaster, it isn't far-fetched to notice that ESPN does have differing levels to make it "on-air" there. Just listen to any Amy Lawrence- or Freddy Coleman-led segment on the radio side... it sounds like they are doing weekend sports talk in Paducah.

But, we all know, in this biz, those are like positions on a baseball field. You can't have nine left fielders (white guys) or nine second baseman (females) in a newsroom.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Try pretty much any 11 p.m. show. John Anderson, Scott Van Pelt and Steve Levy.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm ready for another try at broadcasts without announcers. The problem in the past was there weren't graphics to explain the situations.

Now the graphics on the screen set the scene well. I'd at least like the option of crowd noise, the PA announcer and a full set of graphics doing the job.

5. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

All this crap over Pam Ward.

Who cares? She's off to ESPNU. Those of us with basic cable won't hear from her.

I'd love to open up some debate about who the best broadcast teams are.

I'm a fan of Blackledge. Knows his stuff. Love his segment on the college food. It makes me laugh.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

He is helped immeasurably by having Brad Nessler as his pxp guy. A pro's pro who doesn't spend overtime wondering what Britney Spears is doing with her life.

I hear SEC fans down on Verne and Gary all the time, and don't understand why. That's the best duo going, mispronunciations aside.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Freddy Coleman is really brutal.

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I think any team that has Nessler is damn good. He has a great voice and is a good pbp guy.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agreed on Nessler. And I'm a huge fan of Sean McDonough.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sean McD can be really good - but too often he doesn't seem too enthusiastic about covering whatever game he's got, or that he's worried that he'll miss his flight home.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Jesse Palmer continues to dumb down every broadcast he's on. Oh my goodness he never seems to add anything but hair gel to the broadcasts.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The Britney thing remains the most surreal thing I've ever heard on any broadcast. Even now it boggles my mind.

And I've always liked Verne and Gary, though I guess I can see why some people don't. They just seem to genuinely enjoy the SEC, and they play off each other well.

Draft saved Draft deleted