1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's to blame?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BostonSouthPaw, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Here's a question I'm sure more than a few people have asked since the industry has gone down the shitter. Why is it reporters, editors, copy editors, photographers, etc. are constantly losing jobs when they are the ones striving in their jobs? If publishers are the ones running the ship, why aren't more being held accountable by the newspaper owners? Who makes the highest salary? They do. You want to save money, try hiring new publishers at lower salaries instead of crippling news/sports/photo departments. Any thoughts?

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I would think it would be a tough sell to the Big Boss – in any industry – to say, "Hey, this manager cost us a lot less than the last one. So he/she must be better."

3. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Same reason CEO's get multi-million dollar buyouts for running their companies into the toilet! It's easier to just cut a few of the "little guys" while continuing to try and put out a quality product with less and less staff. Hell, I don't even think management cares about the quality anymore!

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Here's a thought: Fetch the vets some beers, newbie. A search function is a wonderful thing.

5. -Scoop-

-Scoop- Member

Bingo. That's my belief, anyway. They'll continue to get by with as little as they can, not realizing that poorer quality will ultimately take away profits anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted