1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's the worst coach in college football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

But seriously, tell it to Wallace Wade and Steve Spurrier.

2. Here's a tasty box of fail...
    ..and some donuts, too.

[​IMG]

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I can't think of a coach who has done less with more than Fulmer. With all of the talent the Vols have had during his tenure, UT should have more than one National Championship.

Seemingly in every big game, he gets outcoached.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I think Mack Brown has done less with more than Fulmer, personally.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Ooh. Good call.

The Cal coach--Teford?--is pretty lousy in big games, too.

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

The last few years, other than Ainge and the receivers, I don't know that Big Orange has had the athletes it had 10 years ago. Then again, that should fall on Fulmer also.
    But, hey, they kicked the living shit out of Georgia two years running. Good enough for me!

7. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

He was pretty lousy in the small games too, at least late in this season. Still kind of surprising he still gets mentioned for a lot of the big openings.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

This is a cut and paste from an email I (and Tiger) received recently...

10-24

Any idea what that symbolizes? If not, it's Fulmer overall coaching record against Steve Spurrier, Urban Meyer, Mark Richt, Nick Saban, Tommy Tuberville, and Les Miles from kickoff of 1993-Present. It comes out to roughly a .294 winning percentage against Fulmer's most prominent peers, as well as the most prominent SEC teams that Tennessee must beat in order to win SEC titles, go to BCS bowl games, and perhaps have a shot at playing for a national championship.

For comparison, Fulmer is 81-6 lifetime vs. any other SEC coaches (and does include two wins over Tuberville at Ole Miss). That's .931 and VERY impressive. You won't ever see me or anyone for that matter complain about or question this.

But the fact is that among these 7 coaches, Fulmer DOES NOT HAVE a winning record vs. ANY of them. Also, among the 7, he's THE WORST coach head-to-head percentage-wise of the entire lot by a wide margin. He's lost 17% more games than the #2 worst coach on the list. And he's the ONLY head coach among these (besides Miles) who was gift wrapped a football team to leave the gate with when he took over. Every other coach on this list faced some degree of rebuilding when they got there. To Miles credit, he's already won an SEC title and is about to play for a national title (in Year III). It took Fulmer 5 years to win an SEC title under similar circumstances.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

He was terrible this year. After the loss to Oregon State, it was as if Cal collectively decided to give up on the season. Hell, they lost six of their final seven games. The November third win over Washington State was the only reason Cal was able to qualify for a bowl game.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Good call. who's worse Genyk or Jeff Woodruff?

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Oh man. That's the kind of question that could make someone's head explode. If I would've read that before I had my coffee, I would've went back to bed...and cried.

I guess I gotta say Woodruff, though. The guy was incredibly arrogant, always bragging about the championship he won while he was an assistant at Washington.

Genyk, however, has the wool pulled over the eyes of the current administration and A.D. For an "offensive genius," his offense has sucked since his first year.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's like asking which is worse for you -- jock itch or an under-the-skin zit that won't come to head....

Draft saved Draft deleted