1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's the worst coach in college football?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Dec 7, 2007.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Perhaps I'm trying to be too fair, but I think it's a year too early to judge Weis. Sure he's fat and arrogant, but in no way is this guy a Gerry Faust.

Yes, this season was a complete joke and perhaps it was necessary. But bad coaches do not win 19 games in their first two seasons. Given that roster, do you think Willingham would have had that kind of success? I kind of doubt it.

I'm not saying Weis is great or a genius (a label that should never exist in the realm of sports anyway), but I would wait until Year 4 to make a call of what kind of coach he really is.

As for my call on who's the worst coach who's still employed, I'll go with Syracuse's Robinson or Pitt's Wannstedt, who seems totally unsuited for the college game.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

http://www.maximonline.com/articles/index.aspx?a_id=7254

Not necessarily applicable, but it works ...

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes they do. And sometimes the dropoff graphs perfectly when the previous coach's recruits leave and the poor coach has only his own players remaining.

Bill Battle, Tennessee (1971-76)
    11-1
    10-2
    10-2
    8-4
    7-3-2
    7-5
    6-5

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Greg Robinson, for his refusal to admit Syracuse isn't a Top 10 team.

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

This whole topic is pointless without knowing exactly what makes a "bad" coach. That Maxim article labeled Tom Osbourne a bad coach simply for the Lawrence Phillips thing.

6. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

It was Bill Callahan......still employed guy only??? Robinson at Syracuse

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think the coach should be judged in four categories.
    Rumored affairs and/or other shenanigans.
    Recruiting irregularities
    W-L record
    Off-field conduct of players
    Coach Fran rates pretty highly, but I think the King Weasel must be Rick Neuheisel, who is so tainted he isn't even getting a sniff from his alma mater

8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Just because I'm always looking for a reason to post this photo.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Bobby Bowden, oh, wait, he's not a coach, just a bystander wearing Oakley's

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

By bad I mean "inept." You know, an assclown.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would 2nd the greg robinson nomination. He was the worst defensive coordiantor in the NFL so it follows that he would be worst HC.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

On this scale, Coach O wouldn't fare that well. I must say, though, that I never heard a word about "recruiting irregularities." Now, if it turns out he was the bag boy for the guy giving Reggie Bush the cash, that would be another matter.

Draft saved Draft deleted