1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's the whitest team in the NBA? (no, it's not the Celtics)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Oct 31, 2012.

1. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Somewhere in America, Shawn Bradley is looking for a job.

2. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Harmon might be a close call, considering how he was the face of the team in the 60s, when getting a major league franchise made Minnesota a big-time sports area (the Vikings came the same year but weren't nearly as big a deal until Bud Grant came back to coach). I'm not old enough to remember his peak playing days, but only his tenure as a really, really bad Twins broadcaster; you wouldn't think the names Bochte and Pagliarulo would be that hard to pronouce, but I never heard him accurately say either. But I think the two World Series wins with Puckett as their best player may have put him above Harmon.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

It will be Christmas season soon. He can find work putting stars on trees.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go that far.

So far Boom is about 0-for-2,487 at distinguishing "there" and "their" properly. What does that prove?

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'd take K-Love over any other power forward in the game right now, and I'd take Rubio over any other point guard right now. And hell, I'd love to have Barea off the bench (again). Race has nothing to do with who are great players, to me.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

For a year or two after Mark Cuban bought the Mavs, I'm sure the Mavs had to have five white guys on the floor at once occasionally whenever Michael Finley got a blow — Nowitzki, Nash, Bradley, Laettner and Najera (although Hispanic players may be stretching it, which is also true today with Rubio and Barea).

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Considering that four of those play the same PF/C big man positions, I doubt they ever used those 5 at the same time. As I recall, it was guard like Greg Buckner, Adrian Griffin or Van Exel coming in when Finley needed a blow.

8. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

If Puckett was the only African-American Twin for a few days, I doubt it would be that rare. The Tigers didn't use an African-American player during their Negro Leagues tribute game in 2011 - Austin Jackson was out with a minor injury - and they've had as few as one on the roster at different times in the past few years.

If the Timberwolves had 10 white American players, this might vaguely be a story. They are clearly trying to exploit international talent, but as other people have pointed out, I suspect they knew what Nicolas Batum looked like when they signed him to the offer sheet.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Of course, Batum's a damn Frenchman, so that ain't right either, damnit. But, yeah, I get your point. The real story here, if one's inclined to try to make one, might be Kahn's fondness for pursuing foreign players more than honkees.

Although it should be noted that SIX of their 10 white guys--Love, Budinger, Ridnour, Stiemsma, Amundson, and Barea ARE Americans (even if some don't seem to realize that Barea's P.R. is part of the U.S.). Only four are foreigners.

And, btw, their whitey ratio was almost one greater. The T-Wolves spent their only draft pick this year on Robbie Hummel, but Hummel decided to accept a nice contract offer from a Spanish club instead of signing with the T-Wolves. Otherwise the number would likely be 11.

When you look at the moves Kahn has made the last few years, there are sufficient grounds to at least raise an eyebrow and wonder "is this really all just coincidence?"

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It was interesting to see who would show up first on this thread, the racist or the practitioners of liberal white guilt.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

is it not more of an indictment of the Minn-StPaul area then the TWolves? Whomever is attempting to make this allegation is essentially calling the Twin Cities a bigoted and racist city. That is pure ignorance.

12. I don't think having more white players is going to make the team more money, so why do it, if it's actually happening?

Draft saved Draft deleted