1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's the whitest team in the NBA? (no, it's not the Celtics)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MTM, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Evidently, some people care about the racial composition of a team.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Well, if they do that's disgusting.

3. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

This thread was a LOT better when it was Minnesota jokes.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Didn't the Twins get grilled over something similar in the mid-1980s when Kirby Puckett was the only African-American on the roster?

I have never been to Minnesota, but always got the impression from reading about it (and watching Purple Rain as a kid) that it had relatively good race relations. Am I way off base on this thought?

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yeah but during the era of Stockon shorts, the Celtics had some great teams.

6. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Minneapolis is a really diverse city.

The rest of Minnesota is as white as anywhere in the country -- with the exception of the Native tribes.

I don't recall any racial tensions regarding the Twins from that era. Hell, Earl Battey and Mudcat Grant are still folk heroes. And I don't think Puckett was ever the only African American on the roster. Chili Davis? Al Newman? Don Baylor? Shane Mack?

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The T-Wolves made a 4 year, $46.5 million offer to Nicholas Batum this summer, but don't worry, I am sure that's all part of the Grand (Wizard) Plan.

http://www.blazersedge.com/2012/7/15/3161340/blazers-receive-timberwolves-offer-sheet-for-rfa-f-nicolas-batum

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

My man.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Tacos are considered ethnic food outside of the Twin Cities

10. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

And ketchup is considered spicy.

11. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Zeke,

Thanks for the clarification on the diversity. Also, I am going off memory on the Twins thing...I want to say 1986 and it was only a few days because city leaders called the management out on it. I think (think) that they traded one guy and sent another down to AAA, and all of a sudden Puckett was the only African American on the team.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Raider fans showing love for Prince?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted