1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's the weirdest person you have ever worked with?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 28, 2008.

1. I need to go apologize to a lot of people I thought were weird or nutcases.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Trouser Chili would make a great SJ handle.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well played.

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I also knew a news editor who lived in a tent in a county park during the summer. He used his tie to keep his car door from flying open, and then when he got to work, he'd put on the tie and go in to work.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Those little jelly packs are a treat!

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

On a beat I used to cover, we had to enter the press box by passing through the level where the luxury boxes were. There were two guys who would regularly sneak into the boxes after returning from the locker room. They would pick up food that had been left behind, and take it up to the press box for their private feast. A third of a pizza here, half of a giant sandwich ring there....

7. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Wait -- there's a sports department that has leftover pizza? :)

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Publisher's son, classic nerd. He was a really nervous type and when he'd get nervous, he would scratch himself ... and his crotch wasn't off limits. Creeped out most of the female reporters because he was always scratching his balls when they had to ask him something. One time he got nervous and scratched a scab on his arm and it started bleeding. He went for it again and wound up with blood on his finger so he stuck his finger in his mouth and licked it clean.
    He wanted to join our softball team and since the publisher (his dad) paid our team fee, we had to let him join. He was a scrawny little bastard with think glasses. It was a coed team and he wanted to bring his girlfriend, which floored us because nobody thought he would have a girlfriend. But he brought her along, she was a bit hefty and had a gap in her teeth where she would park a cigarette.

9. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Back in the 90s, there was a Wilfred Brimley look-alike in the backshop who was fond of threatening me and my sports colleagues with his X-ACTO knife -- usually on deadline. "(I'll) cut your dick off," he would grumble, for no apparent reason.

Same paper, different dude: He would bring a grocery bag filled with chicken wings to work every night and wash them down with a 2-liter of Coke. He was fat.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

[​IMG]
    Was this her?

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Not quite, the girl was fatter, uglier and had a bigger gap. She could handle a full-size Marlboro. Your girl looks like she could only handle a Virginia Slim.

Draft saved Draft deleted