1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's the weirdest person you have ever worked with?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Computer tech once vowed that if he didn't get the A/C fixed in his office, he was going to come into work bare-assed nekkid.

A/C was fixed the next day.

Dude was a walking movie encyclopedia......but his funniest bit was when he would come out of his office with his shirt over his head, i.e. The Great Cornholio.....and scream out an eardrum rattling "I am the Great Cornholio......I need T.P. for my bunghole!!!!!!!!!!"

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We've had some weird desk folks.
    One guy, who we nicknamed "De-Dumb" (his name was Dewayne) was working on 9/11. Everybody in the building is huddled around the TVs in the newsroom, except De-Dumb. He was at his desk, buying rims for his truck on eBay. He looks up and asks, "Is that a fire or something?"
    Couple weeks later the news editor asks him to fetch a mug of Rudy Giuliani. De-Dumb asks, "Is he local?" Later on, he's asked to find a mug of Winston Churchill for the day in history item. De-Dumb's response? "Is that a building or something?"

De-Dumb was just dumb, though. Couple years later we got a guy we nicknamed "Hoppy" because of his uncanny resemblance (appearance and mannerisms) to the white cop on Sanford and Son. The guy did many weird things, but the worst I saw was eating his lunch in the bathroom. In a stall.

Another guy stored a Wal-Mart bag full of his bills in the break room refrigerator.
    Same guy happened to be out at a bar when one of our copy editors went out with some friends. He came over and talked for a minute, then went off to do something else. The copy editor's group got up to dance, and when they came back the guy had picked up one of the girls' drinks. He thought she was done with it.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The guy mentioned there is not wierd. He is an asshole.

Regarding the lesbian, what is so strange about sex in the dark room? I don't think I have ever worked in a shop where I did not hear at least one such story.

4. Guillermo

Guillermo New Member

I worked with a copy editor who was obsessed with his dead pool. If someone died, he'd stand up, pump his fist and say, "Dimaggio kicked, that's seven points!"

It was funny the first time he did it, but it got a little frightening when we saw him reading the National Enquirer to prepare for his annual "Dead Pool draft". The Enquirer will routinely report on what stars are ill, stuff that is usually not reported by a typical paper.

Here's where it gets really strange.

This is how the guy would do his dead pool draft.

Every Christmas morning, after opening gifts, this guy, his wife, his son and his mother would sit around the tree and then draft the 10 people who they thought would die that year. Isn't that charming? Each would throw in $100 and the winner takes the pot.

He would keep the list on his desk where everyone could see it and would routinely call over co-workers who had no interest and say things like, "Judith Exner is sick. If she dies I get seven points."

Creepiest person I've ever met in this business. Great copy editor though.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Sweet merciful crap. I thought I worked with some weirdos, but y'all have me so beat I'm not even going to try.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Only one I can think of that qualifies for this thread is an IT guy at a previous stop. Started working there about 12 years ago, and this guy, whom I dealt with just a couple of times, left about a month later. He was a little out there, but I figured that was par for the course among IT people.

Later, we found out he was one of the "Heaven's Gate" group that commited mass suicide in San Diego County.

7. Guillermo

Guillermo New Member

I also worked with a prep writer who was in his 40s who invited high school girls who he covered to his birthday party.

The guy was so creepy. We all just prayed he was a eunuch. He was later fired for plagiarism and is probably on Megan's List right now.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Yeah, between a crazy press room woman's husband, a couple alcoholics/chain smokers and a couple folks with intern fetishes, I thought I had some crazies in my past. Looks like I should go back and thank them for not being crazier. ;D

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A copy editor I used to work with could recite every World Series, Super Bowl, NBA Finals, Stanley Cup, NCAA Football, NCAA men's hoops and Heisman Trophy winners without even pausing.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm just glad I don't recognize myself in any of these stories...whew!!

Knew one guy in his 30s who lived with his parents who would be on a friendship basis with women at a strip club and who would just leave a lot of his paychecks sitting around in his desk.

11. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

If he left his paychecks on his desk how was he on a friendship basis with women at a strip club?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That reminds me of a guy I never worked with, but he was the SE for over 20 yeras at one of the other papers where I used to work. Then he got arrested when he set up a meeting online with an undercover cop posing as an underage girl.

I also worked with a photographer who set up a private photo session with a 16-year-old girl he met while on an assignment for the paper. Lucky for the girl, her mother decided to tag along. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted