1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's the weirdest person you have ever worked with?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 28, 2008.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Oh, Lord, where do I start?

The reporter who kept a baggie of jizz in her freezer because her boyfriend told her it would get rid of zits if applied locally.

The reporter who ate so many raw carrots that his skin and an orange tint to it and believed that aliens assassinated President Kennedy. "They tell you when they get here!" he used to say.

The reporter who tape recorded the sound of himself taking a dump when he had diarrhea and played for everyone in the office, going cube to cube to do so. He went home one night after a coke binge and at 3 a.m. announced loudly that he wanted his mother to give him a blow job.

The plate-in-the-head vet who left to become editor of a nudist publication. In Wisconsin.

The guy who chronically begged us to fix him up on blind dates. Then he'd go on one, announce he and the woman were soul mates, stayed up all night talking, had a great time, etc. Then when we'd ask when their next date was, he'd say, "Oh, I'm not going to ask her out again. She's three pounds overweight."

The executive editor who handed me a floppy disk - remember them? - with one of his columns to copy because our network was down and when I opened the file it contained pictures of an S&M orgy with a guy in leather pants, leather headgear and a whip.

The lesbian production manager who used to do her assistant in our darkroom.

The classified ad rep who dressed like a hooker and complained when the wives of the married men she was sleeping with weren't nice to her.

The guy who asked our HR rep out on a date during his exit interview at the time of his firing.

The reporter who spoke in tongues and thrashed around wildly when he drank. Once, he got so out of hand at a New Year's party that someone handcuffed him to a railing so that he couldn't hurt himself or anyone around him.

The reporter who lived in Section 8 housing so he could drive a Porsche.

The quiet editor who had a collection of hundreds of slasher films. He would never, ever combine foods. He would eat a hamburger patty by itself, then the bun, then a piece of cheese. He would never just eat a cheeseburger.

I'm sure more will come to me ...

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Just talked to another co-worker for another great Jim story.

One summer, Jim had kids use a metal bat to knock down a pinata. The first girl was blindfolded, and connected on the first swing. The pinata fell and droves of small children ran towards the pinata to get candy. However, the girl who was blindfolded did not know the pinata fell. So she continued to swing the metal bat knocking children senseless until Jim rushed in.

The next morning in the staff meeting Jim opened by saying.

"We got a lot of complaints from parents yesterday. We need to watch the children more. Also, we will no longer be using pinatas at day camp."

3. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Any desk guy

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As an intern, I worked with a copy editor who had a very severe case of OCD.

This was the exact order of the media guides on his desk. This was in 1994, so before the days of everyone having the Internet at their desks.

Local NFL team 1989, Local NFL team 1990, Local NFL team 1991, Local NFL team 1992, Local NFL team 1993.

Local NBA team 1989, Local NBA team 1990, Local NBA team 1991, Local NBA team 1992, Local NBA team 1993.

Local MLB team 1990, Local MLB team 1991, Local MLB team 1992, Local MLB team 1993, Local MLB team 1994.

It was the same way with his college guides.

As he would use the guides during the shift, he would stack them separately on his desk. About five minutes before the shift was over, he would pull a piece of cloth out of his desk and wipe down each media guide before putting them back in perfect order on his desk.

He would clean the desk when he arrived at the beginning of the shift and again at the end of the shift.

Where the fun would start was when someone would sit in his desk during his days off, which happened to fall on Thursdays and Fridays. I only saw a little of this firsthand since I was there during the summer. But one of the guys who would come in to take prep agate would sit there and eat at his desk and if they bothered to clean up, it was not done to this guy's satisfaction.

I was warned when I got there never to sit at his desk and I never did. But the preps editor hated him and would always assign the biggest slob among the prep staff to sit there on Friday nights.

Watching this guy flip out when he came in and saw the state of his desk on Saturdays was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

This guy was not well-liked by much of the staff there, so a lot of people would re-arrange his media guides when he went to lunch, usually reversing a couple just to annoy him, which it definitely did.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Once worked with a dude, years ago who wore the same shirt to work every day. Literally, every day.

6. Was it a uniform?

Or did you work with Charlie Brown?

7. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

I thought I had worked with weird people until I read this thread. Holy crap.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Same here. I want to work at lono's place.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Once worked with a mentally-challenged guys who washed dishes at a seafood restaurant. Once or twice he decided to expose himself to the waitresses. That wasn't funny. It was funny how he used to say, with increasing volume, "I love my job" once every five minutes for eight hours.

Also used to work with a guy that, when I started, was easily 450 pounds (on a 6-foot-6 frame). The insurance company decided it was cheaper to get him the surgery rather than deal with hospitalization after heart attacks and strokes. He comes back four or five months later, and eventually has dropped 200 or so pounds. Turns out a girl he went to high school with (25 years before) told him if he lost the weight they would get married. Two months into the marriage, she calls the cops. He hit me, she says. He's taken in, though the cops didn't believe her or see any evidence. She leaves him - end of marriage. Not really weird, but was interesting to watch.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Ditto.

Unless you count the guy everyone thinks has a hidden camera in the stuffed monkey sitting on his desk.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Well, in addition to the nudist, which I thought was pretty out there, I also worked with a guy who lived in his car. But hands down, Lono is the "winner" in this contest.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Weird does not define some of your co-workers.

Deranged, maybe. Immoral. Psychotic.

Weird? No.

Draft saved Draft deleted