1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

who's the most overrated team after 2 weeks?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by XXXX, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The thing with the Bears is their defence has not lost a step, last year those wins over Detroit and Green Bay would have been grind it out 10-3 wins. Now that their offence is showing signs of life due in large part to a verticle passing game that goes more than five yards beyond the line of scrimmage, they are as dangerous as any team out there. If they can beat the Vikings handidly this weekend it will prove they are no flash in the pan. As far as Grossman goes, I am tired of hearing how injury prone he is. He was not a band-aide in college and his injuries in the NFL have all been freak injuries that would have put anyone out, for him it was just a matter of bad fortune, not groin pulls or ankle sprains from being out of shape. Also considering he is playing behind one of the better O-lines in the league, he'll be just fine. I'm just waiting for the running game to get into gear.

I don't think the Pats are overrated. They are finding ways to win like they used to. Buffalo is no pushover this year as Juran has brought a bit of an attitude to the team and the Jets finally have a healthy Pennington going which makes them far from absolutely terrible.

I think Arizona is very overrated. Everyone was enamoured with their paasasing attack, but the truth is until they establish an offensive line that can open up the running game and improve their defence, they will not see the sunnyside of .500 for more than a week at a time.

2. XXXX

XXXX Member

your right the giants suck!!!!! they should be 0-2. if the eagles didn't quit. they will be 1-2 after thisweek and finish about 8-8. they have little to no team chemistry which is a key component of a good team especially with the giants extremely tough schedule.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

After 2 weeks, Notre Dame. Michigan pulled ND's pants down and exposed the fraud in week three.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Chicago will help answer the Vikings' true status this week.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

True, true, and I think New Orleans is a bit of a mirage as well with wins against Cleveland and Green Bay.

But I wouldn't want to be the Falcons going into the Superdome this Monday. That's going to be an atmospehere no-one will have experienced before, and it could lift the Saints well above their true level.

6. It must be another Super Bowl year for the Pats if the "no really, they're not that good," talk is already starting. (Along with the "player x has left, this time, no really we mean it, this time it will blow up in the Patriots' faces" talk).

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Yes, they are a legit 0-2 team.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, that reads like a Giants fan, especially the last part. Most people don't realize how many times Ben Roethlisberger has led the Steelers on late scoring drives to win games. He's done it more than Eli Manning has.

He did it a few times as a rookie, probably the best of them against the Cowboys. He also did it more than once last year, including the Monday nighter against the Chargers. He actually got hurt on the big pass play that set up the Steelers' winning points.

I am still amazed by how many people continue to insist Roethlisberger is only a product of his system. Watch that team when he is out of the lineup, or when he's off his game like he was this past Monday in Jacksonville. There are very few players more valuable to their team than Roethlisberger.

The comparisons to Manning really crack me up. Manning's got a pretty good offensive line, too. He's got better weapons. Would anybody want Willie Parker over Tiki Barber? Heath Miller is good, but he's not on Jeremy Shockey's level, at least not yet. Hines Ward may be the best receiver on either team, but the Giants have more quality options at the position.

9. outofplace

Oh, jack away. More fun to talk about both.

I was impressed with half of Jacksonville's team, it's defense, Monday night. The Jags were good on defense last year, too. Great against the run. If you're going to get to them it's usually going to be in the air. Mathis is a tremendous corner, but teams threw with success on them at times last season.

I'm not sure if they are that much better on pass defense or it was a matter of playing a rusty quarterback who's still hurting. Roethlisberger was missing open receivers or getting them the ball too late because he had no zip on the ball from the second quarter on.

The Jags' offense still isn't very consistent. They moved the ball on the Steelers, but they still only ended up with nine points, the last three after an interception put them in field goal range.

Leftwich is fine if he's healthy, but he needs more consistency from his receivers for Jacksonville to take another step forward.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Technically, I think the question is "Which is .."

The answer? Probably the Saints ...

11. tommyp

tommyp Member

Charlie Batch sure looked good in the opener.

12. outofplace

I'm starting to think that was more about the Dolphins' secondary being terrible, though the three touchdowns were all pretty good throws.

How about this... for all the talk about their running game, the Steelers' offense is pretty awful when they can't throw and a healthy Ben Roethlisberger is their best chance to do that consistenty.

Batch has had good games before, too, but he's also had some lousy ones and he's shown an inability to stay healthy when he's asked to play a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted